superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:35:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre-90s Superman Fanzines  (Read 4639 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« on: March 13, 2006, 05:30:07 AM »

Folks, I'm wondering if any of the older fans or collectors here can think of any early long articles about Superman that discussed the general literary nature of the Superman comics (as opposed to historical articles or articles about specific characters, stories or creators).

I'm familiar with some of the academic scholarship but would really like to see any "appreciations" of Superman and the mythos.  What I'm looking for is pre-internet writing on the Superman family from a critical fan's POV --a sort of extended LOC from dedicated readers about what made Superman comics great in the Silver Age, etc.

I haven't read the Legion Outpost collection and wonder if there is anything in there?  Or anything in Alter Ego, Comic Art, Omniverse, or anything else.

As well, I'm slowly compiling a list of interviews with Superman writers and editors and wonder if anyone has any leads for interviews with Otto Binder, Leo Dorfman or Edmond Hamilton.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 05:18:40 AM »

Sort of answering my own question here, but these are some sources I've dug up recently:

Binder, Otto: "Words of Wonder: The Life and Times of Otto Binder" [book] Bill Schelly
Binder, Otto: "Otto Binder Interview" [1:9] Alter Ego.
Binder, Otto: “Mr. Monster’s Comic Crypt!!" 13-17 [3:3 Win 2000] Alter Ego Michael T. Gilbert
Binder, Otto: “...And a Post-Fawcett Footnote From Ye Editor." 18-19 [3:3 Win 2000] Alter Ego Roy Thomas
Binder, Otto: “The Madames & the Girls: The DC Writers Purge of 1968." 12-17 [5 Sum 1999] Comic Book Artist. H Mike W. Barr
Binder, Otto: “An Interview With Kurt Schaffenberger." 20-33 [59 May 1998] Comic Book Marketplace I. John Coates
Binder, Otto: “We Didn’t Know...It Was The Golden Age!" 33-36 [60 Sum 1999] Fawcett Collectors of America C, P Marc Swayze
Binder, Otto: “The Captain’s Chief: The Original, Genuine, Golden Age Captain Marvel, the World’s Mightiest Mortal." 44-48 [61 Aut 1999] Fawcett Collectors of America C.C. Beck
Binder, Otto: “My Years with Fawcett Were Happy Years!" 42-45 [62 Win 2000] Fawcett Collectors of America P Virginia A. Provisiero

Hamilton, Edmond. "Interview" [1975] Twibbet, Patrick Nielsen Hayden
Hamilton, Edmond: "Interview with Edmond Hamilton and Leigh Brackett" [Tangent 1976] The original Tangent was a much different magazine, by the way. It was considered a "sercon genzine", which, is fannish parlance, stands for a Serious and Constructive General interest fanzine.   [interview] was at a Minicon in Minneapolis, MN  --David Truesdale, the editor of Tangent Magazine.

Weisinger, Mort: “The Madames & the Girls: The DC Writers Purge of 1968." 12-17 [5 Sum 1999] Comic Book Artist H Mike W. Barr
Weisinger, Mort: “The Man Behind the Prez: A Brief Talk with Joe Simon, Creator of the Geek." 25+47 [5 Sum 1999] Comic Book Artist I Jim Amash
Weisinger, Mort: “Neal Adams: The DC Years." 16-63 [40 Oct 1996] Comic Book Marketplace I Reprinted in CBM #56 Arlen Schumer
Weisinger, Mort: “Voice of Wonder! Julie Schwartz." 28-35 [50 Aug 1997] Comic Book Marketplace I. Shawn Hamilton
Weisinger, Mort: “Neal Adams: The DC Years." 16-63 [56 Feb 1998] Comic Book Marketplace I Reprinted from CBM #40. Arlen Schumer
Weisinger, Mort: “Mort Weisinger: The Forgotten Man of Comic Book History!" 20-24 [58 Apr 1998] Comic Book Marketplace P .Sam Maronie
Weisinger, Mort: “Sergeant Saturn: The Story of the Legendary Mort Weisinger." 25-27+ [58 Apr 1998] Comic Book Marketplace P. Will Murray
Weisinger, Mort: “Two Weeks with Mort Weisinger." 28-31 [58 Apr 1998] Comic Book Marketplace. Roy Thomas
Weisinger, Mort: “Fandom Flashback: How They’re Cleaning Up the Comic Books." 64-67 [58 Apr 1998] Comic Book Marketplace. Mort Weisinger
Weisinger, Mort: “Kurt Schaffenberger: The Right Man for the Right Job!" 18-30 [59 May 1998] Comic Book Marketplace. Mark Voger
Weisinger, Mort: “In the Last Kryptonian City: Superman in the Bottle City Kandor." 122-125 [3 Jan-Mar 1994] Gold & Silver, Overstreet’s Comic Book Quarterly Gary D. Robinson
Weisinger, Mort: Mort: Mort Weisinger dies .. 10 [41 Aug 1978] Comics Journal N
Weisinger, Mort: "Superman goes mod" (Weisinger interview). [November 29, 1970: 75-77]Indianapolis Star Magazine. Franklynn Peterson

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 05:40:36 AM »

Also, Don't forget the Amazing World of DC Comics

Which was DC's official Fanzine.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 05:42:38 AM »

Here is a website for it: http://www.metropolis1.net/awodcc/

Published in the mid 1970’s, the Amazing World of DC Comics (AWODCC) was a fan magazine published directly by National Periodical Publications – or DC Comics, as they could later come to be known.  This magazine is the most important piece of Bronze Age history regarding DC Comics in existence.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 06:06:10 AM »

Thanks SM, Amazing World had alot of great stuff in it.  Very little on Silver Age Superman writers, besides their obits unfortunately.

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 12:01:57 PM »

Telle, coincidentally enough Ive been reading a bunch of Hamilton & Brackett books and even saw a sword & sorcery paperback by a cerain Gardner  Fox!

Ill keep my eyeballs peeled at the usual haunts
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 04:03:36 AM »

Thanks Klar!  I'm interested in fanzines anyway, but would love to find longer discussions of Superman.

The Amazing Heroes issue celebrating Superman's 50th anniversary has very little to say about the actual comics.  There are several features on Superman in other media, and a collection of short essays and letters from writers and fans (Ray Bradbury, Gary Groth, etc) but not much in depth about the literary aspects of Superman and what makes the comics we love so special beyond general quality and inventiveness.

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L