superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GETTING AFFAIRS IN ORDER!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:11:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Argo City  (Read 9144 times)
Jor-El
Supermen of America

« on: March 18, 2006, 05:49:15 PM »

So is there anything else thats particularly important about Argo City, besides it being the birthplace of Supergirl?
Its a shame we dont know more about it
Anyone else agree?

My world was destroyed and there were no other survivors who am i ?!?
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 07:44:08 PM »

I completely agree.   Just think two of krypton's cities survived untill Kal was an adult.  The only reason he was unable to save Argo City, was he didn't know about its survival untill it was too late.  I can imagine Kal berating his uncle Zor about that.  Zor-El: Kal i'm here anytime you need any advice.  Kal-El: Sorry uncle Zor but i don't need the advice of idiots.  Zor: Kal, what are you saying?  Kal: I'm saying that you are an idiot who is at least partly responsible for the deaths of the citizens of Argo City.  You knew about me & had the means to contact me.  If i had known about Argo City's situation, i would have prevented what happened.  Of course Kal would probably never have said anything like that to his uncle Zor.  But i imagine Zor-El in his imagination (& dreams) having that conversation with his nephew.  Many times, over the years.

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 08:36:42 PM »

Yeah, Zor was an accomplished scientist, he might have thought of that, though I wonder what Kal would have done, take a miniaturizer and Kandor to Argo in space or gradually tow it to Earth?
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 10:37:17 PM »

All that I know of it is right here:
http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Argo_City

however it only goes to 1964, so if anyone knows any more infomation from the comics since then up until crisis started, please add it to the entry.

Thanks Smiley

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 10:44:46 PM »

The story that introduced Jer-Em established that Argo City was in a yellow star system for a brief time.  I wonder how many of the citizenry might have left for parts unknown at that point?  The krypton-chunk that the city rests on is anti-kryptonite only deadly to non-powered kryptonians.  How many phantom zone prisoners were from argo city?  Towing argo city to earth would potentially have been one of the stupidest things kal could have done.  Kal knows the vast destruction one super-powered kryptonian could cause.  I doubt he would want to see what happens when several million kryptonians gain their powers all at once.  I doubt they would have agreed to be shrunk in order to live in kandor.  Kal most likely would have helped colonize a krypton-like planet in a red star system.  He could have used his technology to move the city from the anti-kryptonite chunk it resided on to whatever planet they would have decided to colonize.

dto
Action Ace

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 06:41:27 AM »

If you accept the very last issue of DC Comics Presents as Pre-Byrne continuity, a deranged Mr. Mxyztplk sends Argo City right into Metropolis, burying the city with TONS of green kryptonite.  (It's a disturbing sight to see the broken fragments of Argo City falling all over town, including the green bodies of its dead inhabitants.)   :shock:

However, DCCP #97 is SO "out of whack", I simply cannot accept this as canon.

DTO
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 10:05:39 PM »

That story was godawful.  For one thing the writer overlooked the fact that Argo City rested on anti-kryptonite not "normal" green kryptonite.  The writers (in the 70s & 80s) seemed to equate kryptonian cities with earth cities.  Given the fact that krypton was centuries (more likely many millenia) in advance of earth, a "small" kryptonian city should be bigger than the largest earth city.  If depicted anywhere near realistic, that anti-kryptonite chunk would have completely buried (& crushed) metropolis.  As well as a major portion of whatever state metropolis exists in.   Hell unless Mxy gently set argo city down on top of metropolis,  the force of the impact (by itself) would have made Earth-1 uninhabitable.  I remember hearing that an object 6 miles in diameter would if it hit earth have the force of 6 million h-bombs.  That chunk under argo city is obviously a lot bigger than that.  And don't forget kryptonite is not affected by friction.

Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 10:10:18 PM »

I know I must have read this story, and it's sort of ringing a bell, but by the sound of it I'm glad I can't call it to mind.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L