superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonK-Metal Visitor!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:10:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Puzzler  (Read 5421 times)
Sword of Superman
Superman Family

« on: March 23, 2006, 09:22:44 PM »

Please someone can give some information about this lost villain of the Golden Age Superman :?:
And why it was not re-introduced in the Silver-Modern Age continuity :?: Perhaps it was not too much different with is modus operandi from the Riddler :?:  (this is only my intuition tied to the name of the character).
Or just only because it was just too lame?

"Since we didn't want to use our science on your world, Shayera and I decided we would fight Earth-crime with Earth-weapons. She always found it amusing that I felt so comfortable with them" - Katar Hol
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 10:09:00 PM »

Yet someone else who needs to be added, until then check this out:

http://www.supermanartists.comics.org/superwhoswho/puzzler-action49.JPG

BTW, Checkers = Draughts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checkers

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 10:55:47 PM »

Are you saying that being the world's expert in "international draughts" makes this an even MORE tense match of wits than it at first seems? Cool
Village Idiot
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 02:53:11 AM »

To my knowledge (and according to my brief research), the Puzzler pretty much sat out the Silver/Bronze Age.  Which kinda makes sense, what with The Prankster, The Toyman, and if all else fails, The Riddler around to take up the slack.  All I could find was an appearance in a JIMMY OLSEN from '68, and his unexpected appearance in the roster of villains in '73's AMAZING WORLD OF SUPERMAN.

However, the character (now a female) has made an appearance post-CRISIS, in Geoff Johns'/Joe Kelly's "Ending Battle" from a few years ago.  And in fact, judging by the cover, she's going to be part of the current storyarc that Johns is writing with Busiek.

Check out this cover:

The new Puzzler is the gal on the left in the jigsaw outfit.  Pretty cool character design.

Gregory Scott
Column Editor/Frontline Flack
@$$hole Comic Reviews at Ain't-It-Cool News
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 03:09:12 AM »

Dang, Superman's costume is torn once again... Cool
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 05:24:36 AM »

Quote from: "MatterEaterLad"
Dang, Superman's costume is torn once again... Cool

Thus proof that it's not really Superman.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Sword of Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 01:58:32 AM »

Quote from: "Village Idiot"
To my knowledge (and according to my brief research), the Puzzler pretty much sat out the Silver/Bronze Age.  Which kinda makes sense, what with The Prankster, The Toyman, and if all else fails, The Riddler around to take up the slack.  All I could find was an appearance in a JIMMY OLSEN from '68, and his unexpected appearance in the roster of villains in '73's AMAZING WORLD OF SUPERMAN.

However, the character (now a female) has made an appearance post-CRISIS, in Geoff Johns'/Joe Kelly's "Ending Battle" from a few years ago.  And in fact, judging by the cover, she's going to be part of the current storyarc that Johns is writing with Busiek.

Check out this cover:

The new Puzzler is the gal on the left in the jigsaw outfit.  Pretty cool character design.

They chose the very best from Superman foes for this cover. :twisted:

"Since we didn't want to use our science on your world, Shayera and I decided we would fight Earth-crime with Earth-weapons. She always found it amusing that I felt so comfortable with them" - Katar Hol
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 10:33:35 PM »

Quote from: "Villiage Idiot"
However, the character (now a female) has made an appearance post-CRISIS, in Geoff Johns'/Joe Kelly's "Ending Battle" from a few years ago. And in fact, judging by the cover, she's going to be part of the current storyarc that Johns is writing with Busiek.

Another reason I love Geoff Johns and Busiek. I mean, if we had Johns whipping out an obscure - not even a SILVER ager, but a GOLDEN ager - out of nowhere and updating them for a new audience...dang. Seriously: dang. Geoff Johns nearly blew my mind when he had break into the JSA Thanksgiving Special the awesome but underused magical foe, the Wizard of Ys from GREEN LANTERN #47 (1966), who was a character so terrific I wonder why no one ever thought to use him again: red skin, jester hat, evil goatee, and with one of those mindblowing Schwartz science fiction ideas: the Wizard was from a universe that was left "solid state" after its big bang.

Busiek once used in THUNDERBOLTS a character that had only previously appeared in a Hostess Twinkie Ad (tragically, it wasn't those crocodiles in ballet dancer outifts that only eat gold but are sated by Batman giving them twinkies).

Quote from: "Great Rao"
Thus proof that it's not really Superman.

You know where I suspect the tradition of the captive or defeated hero on a cover first began as a real trend? Sure, there were probably single incidences of this kind of cover all the way back to 1930s, but I mean the single point that made this uncommon situation into a regular one.

I'm talking about John Romita's cover for AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #39.

It would stand to reason it would be with a hard-luck guy like Spider-Man, who lost as often as he won, who was hardly invincible, that started this sort of cover trend.

What an image to set the mind on fire there, arousing curiosity, there was Spider-Man utterly helpless in the clutches of the Green Goblin, unmasked, his costume visible under his street clothes. The cover alone suggests hundreds of possible stories.

Also, it's good to see that, judging by that cover, they've finally brought  Live Wire from the cartoon into the comic book proper. Brownie points for my girl, Gail Simone on that. Though while Wire's electro-powers would be a match for Superman in the animated show, she needs a little more than that for comic book Superman. Like for instance, perhaps some kind of radio wave transformation or projection ability, or maybe some "Static Shock" esque electrical telekinesis.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L