superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonA Tale of the Golden Age SupermanHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:36:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman by george lowther, & Kryptons 'Sector'  (Read 4487 times)
Doug Barr
Supermen of America

« on: March 24, 2006, 02:39:07 AM »

Has anybody read a 1941 novel by George Lowther, "Superman"? I am considerind buying a copy from Amazon, which gave it excellent reviews, but you cant always tell, its always possible it was reviewed by 3 overenthusiastic 12 year olds. It was givin 5 stars on all 3 reviews, but almost every superman story I could find was givin a unanimous 5 stars, it makes you wonder. Is it worth $30.00? I am hoping it is.  If YOU are looking for a bargain, Amazon has the 1st 'DC Superman archives' for just $13.99 - red leather hardcover & all, with gold Superman S on the cover too. This reprints the 1st 4 issues of 'Superman' from 1939, with an introduction by Jim Strenkno (for those who remember the great book, "The comic book heroes"that he wrote, he was a perfect choice for the introduction. Also, he was one of the best artists of the 1960s. I am wondering why superman.nu never included the Lowther book in "Novels" though, maybe its not as great as its been givin credit?

"IT TICKLES"
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 05:25:56 AM »

Quote from: "Doug Barr"
Has anybody read a 1941 novel by George Lowther, "Superman"? I am considerind buying a copy from Amazon, which gave it excellent reviews, but you cant always tell, its always possible it was reviewed by 3 overenthusiastic 12 year olds. It was givin 5 stars on all 3 reviews, but almost every superman story I could find was givin a unanimous 5 stars, it makes you wonder. Is it worth $30.00?

I paid $100 for my copy - and that was 20 years ago.  It was worth every penny.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 01:18:17 PM »

Rao must have got an original! Wow!

I picked up the reprint from a few years ago, which is probably what Amazon's offering.  It's one of those "facsimile" reprints that does up the whole book as it originally looked in 1941, except for a foreword and certain other cosmetic changes.

It's a solid read, and a must if you're at all into the evolution of Superman history, as it offers some variations on the origin, etc, some of which were adopted into the mythos (comics, radio and TV) and others that weren't.  Also it's always fun to see Superman go up against Nazis (homefront saboteurs in this case).

It's been a while since I read it, but here's the brief review I wrote on my site when I finished it:

The Adventures of Superman
by George Lowther

First published in 1942, this novel deals with Superman's origin before settling into a wartime tale of Nazi saboteurs and "haunted" shipyards, with rescues and super-feats galore. Written by "Adventures of Superman" radio show scriptwriter George Lowther, the book establishes many details of the Superman legend for the first time, some of which will be adopted into the canon, the rest altered and tweaked in later years but still owing a debt to Lowther. Included here are the first references to "Jor-el and Lara" (as opposed to the original Jor-L and Lora) and the first recorded account of Superman's childhood on the Kent farm. Superman co-creator Joe Shuster provides the illustrations, some in the form of painted color plates. Originally marketed as a kid's book, it's been recreated down to the dust jacket and typeface by Applewood books.

If you want to save a couple bucks, check out the prices at http://www.abebooks.com

This looks like a job for...
Doug Barr
Supermen of America

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 06:19:23 PM »

Just recieved my copy of the book in the mail, got it used from Amazon for 20.00. Its very good, considering when it was written. The man who wrote it also wrote for the 'Superman' radio show from the 1940s, & I wonder which came 1st, the story about the destruction of Krypton in this book or the 1st radio show?
But it is also of interest for the sketches in the book provided by Joe Shuster. It makes you realize that,even as great a character & premise as 'Superman' was, & that it probably would have been hugely successfull no matter who drew it, it was really a lucky thing he was there at that place and time, there is a quality about even his crudest sketches that brings something special. Anyway, it is "Superman" at his earliest, & it is fascinating to know where this is all going to lead to over the decades as you read it as a modern reader of the book will. Amazon has recomeneded  'Its Supreman!'by Tom De Haven, & I think I will get it next.

"IT TICKLES"
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 10:47:38 PM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"
Quote from: "Doug Barr"
Has anybody read a 1941 novel by George Lowther, "Superman"? I am considerind buying a copy from Amazon, which gave it excellent reviews, but you cant always tell, its always possible it was reviewed by 3 overenthusiastic 12 year olds. It was givin 5 stars on all 3 reviews, but almost every superman story I could find was givin a unanimous 5 stars, it makes you wonder. Is it worth $30.00?

I paid $100 for my copy - and that was 20 years ago.  It was worth every penny.

S!

I got mine for $100 this week!  Cheesy

Clearly I am very lucky...the previous owner had it for 30 years. It still has the dustjacket, and an autograph that appears to be Kirk Alyn. First printing.

I can't wait until it arrives so I can inspect and brag on it further.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 08:56:18 AM »

First printing with a Kirk Alyn autograph??? I shouldn't wonder that that was worth a good deal more than $100, if you know where to go. Good buy!

Some years ago, a copy of Birds of the West Indies was sold for about £7500 (or something like that). It was dedicated to Ian Fleming by its author... the ornithologist James Bond.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L