superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:53:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fleschier bros, was this the finest Superman on film of all?  (Read 8223 times)
Doug Barr
Supermen of America

« on: March 25, 2006, 04:18:11 AM »

Can you imagine, as great as those old cartoons are, how great it would have been if they made 1 or 2 concerning Jor-EL & Krypton?? It would be silly to say it would have been nice to have had a Kandor episode, it didnt come out for almost 20 years later. But an episode involving Jor-EL sending Kal-EL to earth on those Fleschier cartoons, that would be priceless.
    I have read a review comparing these cartoons to the films of William Cameron Menzies. This, I believe, was right on the mark. The world of these cartoons is much like the movie 'Invaders from Mars' (A Classic). Of all the stuff spawned by superman comics, these cartoons were at the very top. You know, I had never even seen an episode till the mid 1980s, & it was like seeing a golden age comic brought to life! It almost seemed like Simon & Shuster were working on them. Imagine A Fleischer Bros Batman cartoon from 1939! With the long ears, coming out only at night (no Robin). Or even a golden age Fleschier Sub-Marinor vs Human Torch, 1939. Imagine Discovering them now just as I discovered the 'Supermans' in the 80s, after having read Comics since the mid 60s! That was my sensation when I 1st saw the Supermans!
  For some reason, the shows from then, even the cheap stuff, I like better than a lot of stuff today ( Except for 'The Incredibles', it was a masterpiece, for me the best comic-movie yet, the 'Citizen Kane' of comic book films!).By 'cheap stuff, I mean the great 'Batman' or 'Flash Gordin' serials. WHY DONT THEY SHOW THEM ON TURNER NETWORK???They are great! Funny as hell!
oh well, thanks for your time anyone who reads this

"IT TICKLES"
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 06:39:53 PM »

I like them too, part of the reason is because they genuinely reflect the times, and because Superman was exciting and very new, and this comes through...

As far as the "Jimmy Olsen Fan Club", its just a mark of a certain number of posts, I think you already moved past it...
dmat
Supermen of America

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 11:49:36 PM »

They are truly great, especially when you consider all the work was hand done - no computers.  I just can't picture all of them ever making it on Network television, about half of the episodes contain material that isn't very PC by today's standards.

Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 03:26:40 AM »

They're great, but I have a question about them. I have the 'Superman vs. Nature and War" and "Superman vs. the Monsters & Villians" 2-disc set of these cartoons. The quality is not the best. Of the new collections, have any been restored to a very high quality?

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 03:38:25 AM »

No, but WB announce that they will in fact finally give the Fleschier and Famous Studios Superman cartoons a proper release with remastered transfers and extras.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 03:52:39 AM »

Click on the little max fleischer Superman icon on the very bottom of this page to see the best version of the 'toons.  Fully restored.  From one of the 71 customer reviews:
Quote from: "fabfriday"
Having seen a number of the early Superman cartoons on other "public domain" compilations, I can say with confidence, DON'T BUY THE OTHERS!!! Bosko Video has a reputation for putting out high quality products and this collection is nothing less than fantastic. The images are superbly clear and the audio is nearly flawless (no, there are NO new or altered sound effects added).

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 01:29:10 PM »

Consensus seems to be the Bosko sets are the best.  But there's some speculation that the brief snippets seen in the new "Look Up In the Sky" documentary reflect Warner's restoration efforts on the cartoons.  If true, their upcoming set will be the brightest, most colorful and crisp versions I've ever seen.

I'm with you on wishing for a Fleischer Batman series.  I thought about it often when watching the Superman shorts.  To some extent, B:TAS captured the look and feel of Fleisher (they set out to anyway), but a Golden Age Batman would have been phenomnal.

For a hint of how it might have gone, check out the "Billion Dollar Limited" short.  The bad guys pull cowls over their heads (looking a lot like bat-cowls without the ears) and convert their car into something not unlike the 40's Batmobile, complete with dorsal fin!  It's pretty cool.

This looks like a job for...
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 03:07:40 PM »

There is only one improvement that Warner could do to the Fliescher Superman cartoons that would make me buy their version:

Letterbox

I have tyhe Bosko DVD of those episodes and I can tell that they need to be letterboxed.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L