superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:33:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fleschier bros, was this the finest Superman on film of all?  (Read 8214 times)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 03:20:40 PM »

Actually, I'm virtually certain the cartoons -- being made in 1940 to 42 or so -- were originally produced in the 3:4 ratio, so "letterboxing" them would actually remove a lot of information from the picture.

The "square" look is true to the original.

This looks like a job for...
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 03:55:53 PM »

Nightwing's right.

Although composed in the 1:33 aspect ratio, the toons lose something off the edges on a TV. Slight Window boxing to preserve the original apect would be ideal (if you watch TCM, you know what Im talkin about)but it's not likely.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 04:12:58 PM »

Nightwing is right, they are in their correct ratio, they just need to be cleaned up that's all.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 09:17:18 PM »

I've watched them on my computer using mplayer classic, a great player that seems to understand intuitively what sort of format any media should be played in, and it puts them in a box; it often does the same for any film made before 1950 or so.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 01:58:33 PM »

For what it's worth, the Digital Bits site has reviews up of several collections, including the Bosko (which again gets top marks, at least of what's out so far):

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/spinsheet062006.html

Scroll down below the "Look Up In The Sky" review (well, unless you wanna read that, too!).

This looks like a job for...
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 03:10:06 PM »

I've noticed in some sets his belt is black and in other sets it looks like it was purposely recolored to red or yellow. Is this true or was there simply an inconsistancy in the animation itself?

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2006, 02:49:21 AM »

Quote from: "nightwing"
For what it's worth, the Digital Bits site has reviews up of several collections, including the Bosko (which again gets top marks, at least of what's out so far):

I own the Bosko collection, and it's first-rate...  well ahead of the cheapo collection I'd initially picked up out of a bargain bin somewhere.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L