superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:39:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kryptonian Super-Weapons are trapped on earth?  (Read 6516 times)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 05:28:41 AM »

Quote from: "TELLE"

What would paroled (ie, reformed) PZ criminals be if not Kandorans?

And it strikes me that Kimmy, Perry, Lois, Lana, et al are really tourists when they visit the Fortress, writing articles and such.

Not sure what you are referring to in point one...

I suppose it wouldn't be great if Perry wrote an article on the 10 deadliest weapons in the Fortress with details of how they work...I think what I was getting at is that the most deadly Kryptonian weapons (sheesh, I thought violence was almost gone there) are not so much a part of Kryptonian art or historical culture and more a product of the technology of a planet.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 05:24:08 PM »

Quote from: "NotSuper"
I guess Superman might have to share if any PZ criminals get released by their parole board.

Not really. He'd probably just have to share with the Kandorians and Supergirl. It wouldn't be smart to give criminals such powerful weapons.

Sorry ME, I was responding to NotSuper with that first point.

The PZ parolee is by definition reformed and therefore no longer a criminal, I think, and therefore can claim ownership of their heritage.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 08:55:18 PM »

The PZ parolee is by definition reformed and therefore no longer a criminal, I think, and therefore can claim ownership of their heritage.

True, but there are limitations for convicted criminals even in the most progressive societies and it is hard to imagine Krypton being different.

Sure, a Phantom Zoner may be reformed, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they should be given access to Blizzard Rays, just like in our own society paroled criminals cannot associate with known criminals, cannot own a firearm, and so forth.

Even though something is Kryptonian, it would not be unreasonable for Superman to say "okay, all this stuff that can potentially blow up the earth? Nobody is touching that."

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 04:38:21 AM »

True, I wouldn't expect them to violate their parole (I wonder how long Kryptonian parole lasts?).

I object to the characterization of Superman as a unilateral dictator in matters Kryptonian.  I know that every nation on Earth and the UN (excepting maybe that criminal country from teen Titans --Zandia?) has basically deputized him but does that mean he can dictate what happens to all Kryptonian artifacts and weapons?  I wonder what his legal standing vis a vis Kandor is?  Is he legally a citizen?  Does he have extra- or supra-legal powers?

Just because they are small, doesn't mean they aren't people.  Indeed, they deserve recognition by the UN as a separate nation.

I'm sure if he has the opportunity to think about it, Superman would see that not only are many of his actions illegal, but that he also should involve the people of Kandor (and, by extension all surviving Kryptonians) some of the same privleges he enjoys on Earth and elsewhere.

It is time for Superman to "share the wealth".

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 05:12:33 AM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
Sure, a Phantom Zoner may be reformed, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they should be given access to Blizzard Rays, just like in our own society paroled criminals cannot associate with known criminals, cannot own a firearm, and so forth.

Exactly. In fact, I'd imagine that Kandor would have even stricter laws than Earth concerning this matter. You don't give former criminals (that is ones convicted of violent crimes)--even if they have truly reformed--access to deadly weapons.

On a related note, I have a feeling that many nations on Earth would be begging for Superman to give them access to Phantom Zone related technology.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2006, 05:08:31 AM »

Just looking into it, it looks like General Zod might be up for parole soon.  His original sentence was 40 years, and I'm not aware of any new trials being held after his many escapes from the Zone, trials that would have resulted in an increased sentence.  I wonder what the Kryptonian legality of this is?

Anyway, given that Superman is between 30-35, and Zod's imprisonment happened before his birth, isn't Zod about due to be sprung?

http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/General_Zod

And on the subject of Superman's age, wouldn't it be great to read a collection of the stories chronicling his early, college and post-college adventures, beginning with his first appearance, various versions of his first job at the Planet, etc?  A chronicle of Superman in his 20s?

(I would prefer the Silver Age/Eearth-1 version of these events, not the 1930s-40s versions).

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L