superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonFREE WEB E-MAIL!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:56:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Luthor's age  (Read 6226 times)
NotSuper
Action Ace

« on: March 27, 2006, 09:35:42 AM »

Here's a question I haven't seen answered: How old should Lex Luthor be in relation to Superman?

Should he be roughly the same age as Superman, like he was post-1960 all the way up until the Crisis? Should he be much older, such as in the forties and fifties? Or should he be only slightly older (perhaps eight years older) than Superman?

It might not seem like an important question, but Luthor's age (or, rather, how old he APPEARED to be) seemed to change a lot. Just what is everyone's ideal age for Luthor in relation to Superman?

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 06:09:22 AM »

While it has been clearly established that Clark Kent and Lex Luthor were in the same grade at school, it is quite possible that Lex had been "left back" during his delinquent days before moving to Smallville.  It is also quite possible that he skipped a few grades owing to his brilliance.  Regardless, Superman and Lex are relatively the same age, I would say, give or take 1-2 years.  

Of course, Kryptonians may age differently than Earthlings.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 06:26:32 AM »

Quote from: "TELLE"
Regardless, Superman and Lex are relatively the same age, I would say, give or take 1-2 years.

Yes, that was clearly presented in the Silver/Bronze Age. But I'm asking what age you'd WANT them to be in relation to each other. Ignoring actual continuity--past or present--how old would they be ideally? Does it work better for Luthor to be roughly Clark's age or should he be older?

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 09:32:07 AM »

Oh --they are already ideal to me! cONTEMPORARY.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 11:15:28 AM »

Luthor and Superman shouldn't be radically different in age. In fact, the whole SMALLVILLE thing where Luthor is a college graduate when Superman is in High School is far, far too much for me.

Superman and Luthor should be friends and/or rivals as equals, not with one having vastly more life experience than the other.

At the same time, Luthor's look was pretty much nailed by Curt Swan. Superman and Lex are the same age...it's just that Lex looks like hell.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 03:58:16 PM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
At the same time, Luthor's look was pretty much nailed by Curt Swan. Superman and Lex are the same age...it's just that Lex looks like hell.

Yes, he looks like he needs to hit the gym, but he shouldn't since I don't know of too many scientists with ripped abs. They have better things to worry about.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 05:06:43 PM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"

Perhaps it's because he constantly obsesses over Superman? Heck, with all the stress Lex is always under I sometimes wonder if his hair wouldn't have fell out naturally.  Smiley

nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 06:21:28 PM »

I think Luthor was originally drawn as an older man because that's how all mad scientists were drawn in those days...as older (preferably bald) guys in lab coats.  Heck, he's just lucky he got off without the obligatory goatee!

Generally I think if you're going to make an arch enemy older than the hero, there should be some point to it.  For example, the James Bond villains, at least in the early days, tended to be older than 007 because it helped make them more formidable, more omnipotent and thus more of a challenge to overcome.  Plus, there was the subtext of Bond, the younger, more vital and sensual character, going up against the villains, an older, more intellectual and emotionally cold (or plain twisted) lot.

With Superman, I don't think that's what's at work.  Luthor evolved in the Silver and Bronze Ages into a character motivated by jealousy and resentment, and for all the Iron Age changes, he remains that (just nastier) today.  In that regard, I think it works better to have him be a contemporary of Superman.  After all, nothing inspires jealousy in a man like looking at another man his age who's accomplished more.  Constantly seeing Superman get the attention Lex craves is maddening enough.  Seeing him hold his looks while Lex loses his hair, puts on weight and gets crow's feet would add insult to injury.

Honestly, much as I love most aspects of the Superboy mythos, I could easily do without the Smallville "origin" for Lex's vendetta.  But in general I think Unlce Morty's bullpen was on the right track making the two roughly the same age.

Plus, he just looks so cool in that purple spandex battle suit!  Can't pull that off when you're 60!

This looks like a job for...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L