superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:39:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Awesome Batman Website  (Read 10815 times)
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 12:54:30 AM »

Julian, I think the reason why Two-Face was never used (purely speculation on my part here) is because he may have been thought to be too scary for 1966 audiences.  

We DID sort of get him in a way, though.  They gave us False Face, who may've been Two Face's TV counterpart!  Cheesy

MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 01:40:28 AM »

Kind of tough and expensive facial make-up for the time, even the rigid appliances that were used, for example, for the Tellurites in Star Trek didn't have to incorporate the mouth...using a "False Face" was probably a lot easier.
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 02:29:34 AM »

Quote from: "Gernot"
Julian, I think the reason why Two-Face was never used (purely speculation on my part here) is because he may have been thought to be too scary for 1966 audiences.

Two-Face was too gruesome for the sci-fi Bat-Mitey plots of the late 50s/60s, and hadn't been in comics for a long time at the point that the TV show came into play.  It was Denny O'Neil who revived him in the 1970s.

For 60s-era villains they managed to miss in the series, Catman comes to mind.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 03:31:06 AM »

I ain't buying that for a second....any villain could have been made palatable to TV audiences at the time...just write it that way, like they did...
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 12:39:13 PM »

Yeah, especially considering The Riddler hadn't been seen since the late '40's, and he became the first foe to face Batman and Robin in the TV show!  

I'm sure he'd've had more Season 2 episodes had Frank Gorshin not refused to play him again until the second episode of the third season.

nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2006, 01:19:05 PM »

I don't think Two-Face would have really fit in with the feel of the show.  I mean, consider the other villains and their schticks:

JOKER: A prancing, foppish pouf in clown make-up.  Perfect for a camp project.

RIDDLER: A guy who thinks he's a genius but can't do anything without sending Batman clues first.  Wonderfully insane premise for a wonderfully insane show.

CATWOMAN: All curves and sex appeal, pitted against the most sexually repressed hero on TV.  Lots of potential.

PENGUIN: A waddling "master criminal" who by no stretch of the imagination could EVER be perceived as a physical threat to Batman.  (The TV show might in fact be the only place this villain ever did work well.)

Now into this stew let us consider adding this guy....

TWO FACE: A mentally tortured ex-District Attorney driven to criminal insanity when half his face is destroyed by acid burns.

It doesn't take an Aaron Spelling to see which ideas fit the premise of the show and which did not.  Now I'm not saying you couldn't have fun with a guy nutty enough to decide everything with a coin toss, but I imagine no matter how you spin "driven mad by disfigurement" it never quite comes up "fun."  Plus, having an establishment, law enforcement figure driven to crime runs counter to the underlying theme of the show; that criminals are deviants who, Batman believes, may somehow be brought around to the side of reason and virtue, but no one is ever seen going in the other direction.

On the other hand, everyone on the side of law and order in the show is dull, square and not overly bright, while the villains are ingenious, hilarious and above all fun.  Maybe it would have been fun to see a DA say, "I've been a straight-laced square long enough...now to have some fun!"  In fact, such a character could have evolved into the thematic arch-nemesis of Batman.  But that would have been a bit deeper than the writing on that show ever managed to go.

Besides, there probably weren't many famous actors willing to appear in "acid scarred" make-up.  A fake nose or clown face is one thing, but making yourself hideous is not something that usually appeals to the actor's ego.  Especially when you're talking about aging ex-matinee idols the likes of Caesar Romero, Van Johnson or Rudy Vallee.

This looks like a job for...
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 02:04:34 PM »

Cool

Well, they could have just ignored his past, for example, the Joker can be Cesaer Romano, or they can make him the acid burned maniac like in Tim Burton's movie...
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2006, 02:37:21 PM »

Also, look at Two Face's "replacement!"  False Face had his ENTIRE face covered up in such a way that NO one could tell what he really looked like!  

A little bit of make-up, and Two Face would be SET.  They could make him into a semi-tragic figure like Mr. Freeze, whom Batman wanted to help escape his ice suit, or King Tut, who was always ashamed he'd gone back to his evil ways after a bump on his noggin.  

Two Face could VERY easily have fit in on the 1966 TV show.  Wink

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L