superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:12:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In praise of Comet the Super-Horse  (Read 7556 times)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 08:53:20 PM »

Well, I'm not gonna' dump on the Super Horse, I even had Action 293 in my collection, but I never considered Comet a super pet, and it mildly unsettled me me that he was a centaur and mixing that in with the stereotype of young girls love of horses in general...

But that's just me, LOL... Cool
Russell
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 08:55:54 PM »

Heh, reading the Comet stories, I do sometimes think they're a wee bit unsettling due to what's going on behind the scenes.  :lol:
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 09:01:50 PM »

Those Sliver Age writers did put a bit of kink into the comics that thankfully went way over the heads of the kids reading them, only now looking back can we all look at them and go "WTF?" Smiley

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Russell
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 09:08:02 PM »

Hhahaha, betcha 10 to 1 they wanted it that way too.

Subtle manipulations of the comics code that'll shine through to future perverted generations.  :lol:
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 09:19:37 PM »

Well, since I'm old, LOL, I can remember reading the comics in the mid and late 60s, and while I wasn't schooled in exactly what love was, I did seem to think that having a centaur who once was in love with Circe just didn't make him a "pet" in the classic way...but then, that Kryptonian monkey was always picking up the phone to call Batman... Cool
Russell
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 09:20:15 PM »

Bwhahhaha.

Ah, wow.

How I do love the Silver Age.  :lol:
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 09:52:54 PM »

Quote from: "alschroeder"
To tell the truth, I'm not a big fan of Comet---the changes to Bill Biron giving way to uhhh, odd thoughts to say the least---but I always thougth a perfect ENDING for his saga would be for Wonder Woman to take him to an island near Paradise Island, and have the gods reverse Circe's spell. As the last of the centaurs, he would have fit in well with the whole Paradise Island mythology bit, and he would have fit in a lot better with her Greek myth viewpoint than chasing a blonde teenaged alien---

---Al

Aww, c'mon, Al! That was a beautiful story. Comet was in love with Supergirl, but he wasn't human and so never could express that or tell her or even, really, SAY anything to her.

As for your ending for Comet, I think that the "finale" to Biron's story if he ever gets one, should be one where he gets a happy ending and becomes fully human forever. This also is true of the Thing as well. Ben Grimm should be restored to normal and become human again; there was something slightly irritating about Mark Waid's FF showing the Thing still being a big Tang-colored rock decades in the future.

(This, I would argue, is not true for Cyborg in TEEN TITANS. His story is best served by him coming to grips with it all. It was a powerful moment when he said, "if people get hung up on how I look...that's their problem, not mine.")

As entertaining as I thought the George Perez WONDER WOMAN was, as consistent as his vision of the character was, I think comic books historically are best served not by actual mythology, but by this Kirby-esque, totally dysfunctional merger of acid-myth, where you have gods with ray guns fighting Rock Men from Saturn and Amazon women riding giant kangaroos.

The more MIGHTY THOR veered from actual Norse mythology, oddly enough, the better it got.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L