superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:23:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll
Question: Is there a need for a Superman?  (Voting closed: February 09, 2003, 12:21:45 PM)
if YES, then why - 12 (100%)
if NO, then why - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 12

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the significance of Superman in today's society?  (Read 14723 times)
Supersweet!
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« on: February 09, 2003, 05:21:45 PM »

[/b]Can anyone help in providing some info. on this question, personal opinions, books, references, newspaper clipping etc... Cheesy [/quote]

Can you help!! I am writing a 10,000 word essay on "What is the significance of Superman in society and The American Dream". Does anyone have any opinions and books or references to offer.
Thanksxoxox
valdemar
Superman Family

... and who, disguised as...

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2003, 09:46:35 PM »

I voted 'yes' in the poll question.

After all, if Superman wasn't neccessary, we wouldn't be here Cool

"It is not too far fetched to predict that some day our very own planet may be peopled entirely by SUPERMEN!"
- Jerry Siegel, Superman #1
Kal-El10
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2003, 11:22:03 PM »

I also voted yes. The reason why is that now, perhaps more than ever, we need Superman to remind us how to do the right thing.
lastkryptonianhere
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2003, 12:07:32 AM »

September 11, 2001 showed us the evil that is lose on the earth.  The United States was attacked by evil forces who hate our country and for what it stands for.   Do we need Superman?  Yes - the character might be fictional but he stands for the greated good and represents all that is great in humanity.  

Read Action 775 and see one of the greatest Superman stories ever where his role in today's society is explored.

"Look Up In The Sky ..."
shazamtd
Superman Family

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2003, 12:36:55 PM »

I voted yes because Superman helps to teach the difference between right and wrong.  Everyone needs to know this and they will always need to know.  I think he will always be necessary.   S!

"Is there no one on this planet to even challenge me?!" - General Zod (Superman II)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2003, 07:46:27 PM »

Quote from: "Supersweet!"
Can anyone help in providing some info. on this question, personal opinions, books, references, newspaper clipping etc... Cheesy

In regards to the 'American Dream,' you might want to read Gary Engle's What Makes Superman So Darned American and Michael Mautner's From the Pit to the Peak: Superman and the Ascension of America.

Christopher Reeve has some thoughts at http://superman.nu/sites/themovie/hope.php and there is an interesting Time Magazine article at http://superman.nu/a/Fifty/time.php

We have more essays at http://superman.nu/a/fan_essays.php which you might find pertinent.

Elliot S! Maggin asked the question in his very first Superman story, Must There be a Superman?, but the answer was so complex that it took him 15 years worth of additional stories to tell it...

As for my own opinion - I voted yes in the poll, and my explanation is best summed up by reading everything on this website :-)

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Supersweet!
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2003, 10:21:41 PM »

Just to say "Thank You All" for replying, you've all helped me so much. If you have any more information please post it on the message board.

Thanks again Cheesy  :lol:

Can you help!! I am writing a 10,000 word essay on "What is the significance of Superman in society and The American Dream". Does anyone have any opinions and books or references to offer.
Thanksxoxox
jasonred
Superman Fan

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2003, 08:11:17 PM »

It's not his POWERS that make him Superman... he's an Icon. And there will ALWAYS be a need for an Icon of Truth Justice and the way of the force.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L