superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonLois & Clark: The Ghost of Superman FutureHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:58:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Superman character quirks...  (Read 3126 times)
Russell
Superman Emergency Squad

« on: April 03, 2006, 12:31:45 PM »

I remember an Earth-2 Superman back-up story where Lois and Clark pooled their money and bought a car. 12' o' clock at night, Clark's standing near the window watching the car. Lois said something to the effect of "You've seen the wonders of the universe and you're admiring a car, Clark". He replied "Even so, even I can appreciate automative advances and engineering!".

It was just a small thing that realistically reflected on how a lot of men in Earth-2 Superman's day and age feel. You know, all american car loving red blooded american. Kal-L always seemed more like that than, say, the Silver Age Superman.
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 02:14:52 PM »

Interesting observation. Earth-2 Superman DID seem to be more "common mannish," as opposed to the Earth-1 Superman who was clearly more of an alien.

I always liked that there was something kind of cosmic and science fictiony about Earth-1 Superman, where he liked to swear "Great Ganymede!" and so forth.

I also loved the tendency of the writers to come up with nicknames for Superman on the fly. Strange how SuperBOY seemed to have much cooler ones than SuperMAN - "the Boy Blockbuster," the "Prince of Power," and so forth ("King of Power" sounds pretty awkward, doesn't it?).

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Russell
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 11:06:33 PM »

I personally also liked how Superman read through massive amounts of literature of whatever planet he was going to spend time on. So he knew how things worked, if there were not so obvious dangers around, customs, and so on.
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 07:21:40 PM »

Quote from: "Russell"
I remember an Earth-2 Superman back-up story where Lois and Clark pooled their money and bought a car. 12' o' clock at night, Clark's standing near the window watching the car. Lois said something to the effect of "You've seen the wonders of the universe and you're admiring a car, Clark". He replied "Even so, even I can appreciate automative advances and engineering!".

Was this the same Earth-2 story where Superman was able to find Lois by the "new car" smell, or was that some other story?
Russell
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 10:04:53 PM »

Nope, that's the one.  :lol:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L