superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:22:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superboy killing his robots...  (Read 15114 times)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2006, 02:07:25 AM »

Too rich for my blood, now 25 cents for an 80 Page Giant, that's a value... Cool
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2006, 02:25:54 AM »

It seems that the "pollution effect" needs to be added to the robot's entry...
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2006, 12:51:50 PM »

Personally I never liked the idea of Superboy/Superman having robots.

Among other reasons I think it is too easy a way out for him to conceal his Clark Kent identity, instead of using clever deceptions.

In any case, if Lois or anybody else who suspected his true alter ego discovered he had identical robots it would be extremely difficult for Superboy/Superman to prove that he wasn't Clark. If they saw Superboy/Superman and Clark together they would just assume (correctly) one was a robot.

I'm sure I've read Silver Age stories where the existence of Superman robots was not exactly hidden from the public.

As they say in the classics: "It seemed like a good idea at the time".

I think one of the best things Julie Schwartz did when he took over the Superman comic was to immediately get rid of them.
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2006, 01:44:27 AM »

Read the scanned-in story; interesting, though a few nitpicks came to mind:

- Guessing the story was written to explain how Smallville managed to survive without misfortunes without Superboy around. Though would think the lack of crimes would stem more from the comic book cliche of major crimes showing up when superheroes show up (I just assumed the crooks all stuck with Metropolis for whatever reason after Superboy left, and the various visiting aliens/super-types/etc. all honed in on there instead of Smallville)... ;-)

- Wouldn't someone have mentioned this odd mysterious capturing of criminals to Clark/Superman at some point during one of his various visits to Smallville in either identity in various previous stories?

- Pretty sure there's been examples of crimes being committed/disasters occuring in Smallville in stories published before this one (examples, anyone? All I can think of is the mid-50's "Superboy's last day in Smallville" story where we see Smallville's buildling a newer and bigger jail), or of the police moving into action instead of sitting around doing nothing like the Maytag repairman (which I'd think would also prompt some sort of response from Superman...).

Guess I'd have bought into it more if it were just the natural disasters and *some* crimes (vs *all* crimes) being thwarted by the Superboy robot----particularly the natural disasters (if Smallville's experiencing *earthquakes* of all things, would think that stupid robot would be too busy dealing with all the various accidents/natural disasters/etc. we've seen in Superboy stories to have a lot of time to render the police as useless as Chief Wiggum... :-) ).

Re: the idea of Superman robots in general, I wasn't bothered by their existence, but can see why they probably wanted to write them out of the comics in the 70's (a much lower dependence on secret-identity stories in that era, among other reasons)... still, guess they weren't that "Super" if pollution caused 'em to shut down (guess on a journalist's salary, coming up with funds for quality parts is difficult!) ;-)

Wasn't there a 60's story where another Superboy robot survived somehow for years after Superman destroyed his old robots? All I recall is a scene of Superman wrecking various old Superboy robots (by hand) and the story's end (where he upgrades the leftover Superboy robot into a Superman robot). Anyone recall what the plot was?

Russell
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2006, 12:23:40 PM »

I can't recall the plot, but I do remember him wrecking his robots by hand in a scene that was pretty familiar...

Ech. Can't place the comic though.
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2006, 06:20:31 AM »

Quote from: "Johnny Nevada"
Read the scanned-in story; interesting, though a few nitpicks came to mind:

- Guessing the story was written to explain how Smallville managed to survive without misfortunes without Superboy around. Though would think the lack of crimes would stem more from the comic book cliche of major crimes showing up when superheroes show up (I just assumed the crooks all stuck with Metropolis for whatever reason after Superboy left, and the various visiting aliens/super-types/etc. all honed in on there instead of Smallville)... ;-)

- Wouldn't someone have mentioned this odd mysterious capturing of criminals to Clark/Superman at some point during one of his various visits to Smallville in either identity in various previous stories?

- Pretty sure there's been examples of crimes being committed/disasters occuring in Smallville in stories published before this one (examples, anyone? All I can think of is the mid-50's "Superboy's last day in Smallville" story where we see Smallville's buildling a newer and bigger jail), or of the police moving into action instead of sitting around doing nothing like the Maytag repairman (which I'd think would also prompt some sort of response from Superman...).

Guess I'd have bought into it more if it were just the natural disasters and *some* crimes (vs *all* crimes) being thwarted by the Superboy robot----particularly the natural disasters (if Smallville's experiencing *earthquakes* of all things, would think that stupid robot would be too busy dealing with all the various accidents/natural disasters/etc. we've seen in Superboy stories to have a lot of time to render the police as useless as Chief Wiggum... :-) ).

Re: the idea of Superman robots in general, I wasn't bothered by their existence, but can see why they probably wanted to write them out of the comics in the 70's (a much lower dependence on secret-identity stories in that era, among other reasons)... still, guess they weren't that "Super" if pollution caused 'em to shut down (guess on a journalist's salary, coming up with funds for quality parts is difficult!) ;-)

Wasn't there a 60's story where another Superboy robot survived somehow for years after Superman destroyed his old robots? All I recall is a scene of Superman wrecking various old Superboy robots (by hand) and the story's end (where he upgrades the leftover Superboy robot into a Superman robot). Anyone recall what the plot was?

I remember that, too.  So the story idea wasn't exactly new.

True, Superboy had a rather cold attitude towards his robots.  Probably because he didn't think of them as artificial intelligence but machines who would follow orders and little else.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L