superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:59:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the comics that best define Superman for you?  (Read 7253 times)
Russell
Superman Emergency Squad

« on: April 03, 2006, 08:57:18 PM »

Lets say you're about to have your mind wiped clean (:lol:) but you want yourself to know when you come to that you loved Superman. What are a few of the comics you'd tell yourself to read to truly get a grip on what makes Superman who and what he is?
Russell
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 12:21:32 PM »

So, anyone?
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 03:06:35 PM »

Well, its a big question... Cool

I've posted these as among my favorites, so they were defining for me...

Superman #38 The Battle of the Atoms (1946)

Superman #129 The Girl in Superman's Past (1959)

Superman #167 The Deadly Duo (1964)

Superman #189 Krypton Lives Again (1966)

Superman #190 The Four Element Enemies (1966)

Action #285 The World's Greatest Heroine (1962)

Action #321 Superman -- Weakest Man in the World (1965)
Russell
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 04:52:07 PM »

Good stuff, MEL. Thanks.

Four Element Enemies... I remember that one. He was depowered to him extent and those things had him on the ropes multiple times.

Had the classic Golden Age looking Superman too, even though it was supposed to be the SA Superman, right?
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 05:13:43 PM »

Well, it was a classic Wayne Boring issue, and according to the Grand Comics Database, apparently, a Shooter script...

Also the intro of Amalak, the Space Pirate, though he spent most of the story unconscious...

Yep, by initially selecting Clark Kent as the human to get "fire power", he de-powered Superman with the blast, showing that even the "infinitely powerful" Silver Age Supes could be affected...it was one of those stories that showed Superman using his wits that I liked...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 05:20:34 PM »

I would pick these four,

The MAN WHO STOLE the SUN!
http://superman.nu/tales4/stolethesun/

SUPERMAN Under the GREEN SUN!
http://superman.nu/tales3/greensun/

The GIRL who DIDN'T BELIEVE in SUPERMAN!
http://superman.nu/tales4/the_girl_who_didn't_believe/

SUPERMAN in KANDOR!
http://superman.nu/tales2/invasion/

If someone can read those 4 stories and not come away a Superman fan, then they never will be a Superman fan!

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Sword of Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 08:17:47 PM »

Before i give my answer i would like to make an introduction,

contrarily of the greater part of the people who visit this forum I have  known on the first time the post crisis version of Superman, and this because in Italy his publication was a real mess Sad .
Therefore I first known the version re-created by Byrne :x , and not the previous one,later i was introduced to the "concept" of Golden Age Superman and Silver Age Superman but only through articles and book reviews,
and it looks like to me simply inadapt for the tastes of the modern readers,
this was my thought until when it happened to me the reading
of : "For a man who has everything", perhaps now my answer can appear too much simple, but this story has indeed allowed me to understand what as been removed from the character and the many  things that I don't know and that i risked to lose about this great fictional hero but this story changed immediately my opinion and make me wants to know more of his previous comic book life.

From this day on Alan and Curt have became one of my favorites...

"Since we didn't want to use our science on your world, Shayera and I decided we would fight Earth-crime with Earth-weapons. She always found it amusing that I felt so comfortable with them" - Katar Hol
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 08:26:10 PM »

Seems good, for me, there's a lot to like in "For the Man Who has Everything"...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L