superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:05:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite obscure Pre-Crisis villians?  (Read 10486 times)
Russell
Superman Emergency Squad

« on: April 03, 2006, 09:12:15 PM »

If anything can be said about the Silver Age of comics, it's that it gave us some of the most imaginative, fun, original comic book villians ever. That's how I feel about it anyway.

So, hell, name a few of your own... No matter how obscure.  Smiley

I personally have always and still do love Validus. He was beastly beyond words and the eventual plot device pertaining to him is great to this day. The fact that Validus had Superboy's ticket every time they fought was great too. "He's at least a dozen times as powerful as me!" Superboy said, twice.  :lol:
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 09:44:12 PM »

A few that come to mind:

http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Funnyface

http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Zha-Vam

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 10:09:21 PM »

I was partial to the Perry White persona when he was taken over by alien plants and became "Masterman" and had to be defeated by the little-used White Kryptonite...Action #278...
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 10:28:52 PM »

Does Validus count as an obscure Superman villain? I like him too, but he's arguably not obscure, nor technically, a Superman villain.

He was pretty great, though. He was sympathetic and childlike instead of truly evil, and the way Princess Projectra won her over with kindness was so sweet, it gives you diabetes.

He was a wonderful counterpoint to the total sociopaths that comprised the Fatal Five. Wasn't it creepy the way the Persuader visibly letched after Princess Projectra? People complain that all Mano and the Persuader ever did was fight. Actually, this is perfectly realistic. My brother and I used to get into fistfights over who gets the remote and we don't have half the psychological disorders Mano and the Persuader clearly have.

By that same token, this is why it doesn't bother me when people say that there were no black people on FRIENDS. People like the FRIENDS...*have* no black friends.

Who was it that wrote the story that the Emerald Empress was in reality, controlled by the Emerald Eye of Ekron? That was a really boneheaded idea, because the best thing about the Emerald Empress is how shiver-inducing Evil with a Capital E she was.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Russell
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 10:37:45 PM »

Eh, Validus is very obscure outside of Legion/Superboy fans from what I've seen.

And Validus flat out throwing down with the Sun Eater is one of the most hardcore things I've ever seen in comics. Even better is when he gets back into shape and comes back for round two and wins for Projectra, like you said.  Cheesy

I've read almost everything Legion ever and I don't recall any stories where that was revealed. At the very end of Legion vol. 3 it was revealed the Eye had a hold on the Empress and woulden't let her die, among other things, but it wasn't controlling her.

She was evil though. Vanity and egotistical to no end. I still remember when she kept on breaking the bones of Legionaires... Snapping Sun Boy's jaw and all that.

I liked Mano too. Nuking Angtu with his hand, oh man. :lol:
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 10:59:56 PM »

Quote from: "Russell"
I liked Mano too. Nuking Angtu with his hand, oh man. :lol:

NOTE TO SELF: Get OFF of a planet before blowing it up.

It always puzzled me why it is that Mano kept on wearing that spacesuit of his even though he had already blown up his own planet.

Then, in one disturbing moment, I realized why:

He keeps a spacesuit on, because by doing so, he leaves the option open of just blowing up whatever planet he's on.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Russell
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 11:04:37 PM »

Heh.  :lol:

Mano, probably my second favorite member of the Fatal Five though. He was fast... I remember he tagged an aware Karate Kid once, and another time these mini rockets were being fired at him in rapid sucession and he touched them all in mid-air.

Post Zero Hour he didn't kill his race, and his origins were all the more tragic. Pretty good stuff.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 11:18:01 PM »

Tremble before the might of.....

WHIRLICANE!!!!!!

Master of winds!

http://www.tfz.net/affiche_fiche.php?id=554

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L