superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:00:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman says...  (Read 8574 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 05:07:59 AM »

say no to drugs kiddies

or you will end up like this guy: http://www.forager23.com/greenarrow.JPG

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 05:53:23 AM »

Or worse yet...

... you might change your name to "Arsenal"

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 09:01:11 AM »

Suck it up, wusses. Everybody's Mom threw out their comics.

You know, Superman seems like a square type, but I think SUPERMAN'S PAL JIMMY OLSEN with Kirby definitively proved that he's one cool, counterculture-loving cat, and this poster clinches it.

I mean, all that stuff about him sitting down with headphones on and going on "cosmic trips" into Jack Kirby magazine collages...

And Dennis O'Neil writing about drug use in GL/GA is the ultimate case of throwing stones from a glass house. He had to have been on something when he came up with the idea to have Aaron Burr saved by a space civilization who declare him their emperor and give him immortality.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 09:51:18 AM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
Suck it up, wusses. Everybody's Mom threw out their comics.

Actually, not quite everybody! My sister put all my comics into two cardboard boxes and stuck them in our basement. Then, unbelievably, the basement got broken into and my precious comics, along with some worthless bric-a-brac, were stolen.

I've often wondered what became of them. Did the burglars read them, and thereby learn the error of their ways? Did they sell them to buy drugs, thereby turning years of hard-earned pocket money into a quick fix?

My favourite line from the Spider-Man 2 film: Peter Parker returns to Aunt May's to find she is moving out, and asks in concern: "What did you do with my old comic books?"

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 04:06:40 PM »

My parents threw out all my old comics which I had kept safely away in our basement, during a spring cleaning. Sadly I wasn't an adult yet, I was in Jr. High! Only less than a handful of comics that I had in my room were saved. All of my old toys were thrown out that same day.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 04:24:02 PM »

SUPER-TRAUMA, Beppo.

My parents liked to fool me they were moving. I would sell comix I didnt care about at the time like Blackhawk. With a limited allowance, it all went to Superman-Batman mags, Mad and the occcassional monster mag. Expendable income went on War comics with dinosaurs! :wink:
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 04:37:58 PM »

All of my old Mads were thrown out too. Sad

- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 05:01:15 PM »

My Mads had a couple of years of extra life with my little brother, he also kept the grand total of two Marvel comics I had bought (Fantastic Four) and added them to some Iron Mans that he liked...
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L