superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe ADVENTURES of SUPERBOY!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:28:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC #6 - Super Spoilers  (Read 21286 times)
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2006, 06:16:17 PM »

After reading issue #6, I am not so sure DC is headed in the publicized "less dark" direction. Psycho Pirate's death at the hand or fingers of Black Adam was reminiscent of Alan Moore's Kid Miracleman. It was gory and as Power Girl admits unnecessary.  Alex Luthor's finger is amputated by a burst of raw postive matter. That's got to hurt. Finally, Conner saves the new earth, although appears to inadvertantly destroy the multiverse, again. At the end, he's beaten to a bloody pulp by Superboy Prime, who even rips Conner's hand clean off! I guess the heroes will be less grim and gritty but the universe will not be?

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2006, 02:46:35 AM »

Bad enough we're still wallowing in gore, but just to add insult to injury the writers and artists don't even understand the laws of physical nature.  There's no way a pair of eyeballs could be used to push someone's brains out the back of their skull and still retain the shape of eyeballs.  The first thing that would happen is they'd be squished to paste.

This is what happens when you let 30-something hacks with the intellects of 12-year-olds go hog wild in the name of "mature themes."  For all the claims of "sophistication," modern comics are as preposterously goofy as anything fromt he Silver Age, only without anything remotely resembling that period's sense of fun.  What we need is a new rating system; this series would get my NFFDF rating.  Not Fit For Decent Folk.

I don't know if DC's going for more darkness or less in the long run, but sloppy work is sloppy work, period.  Even those members of the audience who get off on gore and bloodshed have got to feel cheated by action scenes that are one step up from the Three Stooges.

I will say one good thing about Infinite Crisis; it's managed to achieve one feat I'd have thought impossible.  It's made the original Crisis look like a good story.

This looks like a job for...
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2006, 04:54:31 AM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"

If DC is now calling the new Earth-DC, "New Earth," then that must mean that we're out of the "Iron Age" and into the "New Age"...

That makes the run-down read:

Golden Age  (on "Earth-2")
Flux/Atomic Age
Silver Age
Bronze Age (on "Earth-1")
Iron Age/Dark Age/Modern Age (in the "DCU"/"Earth-0")
New Age (on "New Earth")

:?

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2006, 03:22:21 PM »

I only liked the second issue, really. Actually, I jumped for joy when I read the the end of the first issue.

It's sad that I agree with the bad guys on this one...the heroes aren't heroic anymore, and they kind of make me sick. The Stupid Death of Conner Kent didn't make him any more heroic to me; he still seems like a pretty flat character. They ruined him when they gave him that stupid T-shirt, gave him names like "Conner Kent" and "Kon-El", and made him Superman and Lex Luthor's baby. He was more interesting as simply a hormone-driven teenager with an ambiguous origin.

I'm hoping to get only one thing out of this...that this whole fiasco has brought Superboy back to Smallville.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2006, 09:47:14 PM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"

New Age (on "New Earth") :?

more like the Dark Age...

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2006, 10:41:40 PM »

The Dark Age/Iron Age is really coming to an end.

During the Dark Age/ Iron Age, EVERYTHING and EVERYONE was dark and evil with no difference between heroes and villians, even Superman was murdering defendless foes. Batman was a jerk, Hal become a serial Killer, etc.

During this New Age it seems that the Heroes will start acting like real heroes, but the villains will still be dark and evil and do gross and sicking acts.

As long as ONLY the Villains are acting like jerks and are the only ones doing the murdering, I guess it's an improvement, but Heroes if they are real heroes should never act that way, like they did during the Dark Age/Iron Age.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2006, 01:06:29 AM »

It's hard to say exactly what New Earth will be like.  Hopefully less dark than Earth 0 or whatever it is.
But I wouldn't bet the farm on this.

JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2006, 11:37:59 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
The Dark Age/Iron Age is really coming to an end.

During the Dark Age/ Iron Age, EVERYTHING and EVERYONE was dark and evil with no difference between heroes and villians, even Superman was murdering defendless foes. Batman was a jerk, Hal become a serial Killer, etc.

During this New Age it seems that the Heroes will start acting like real heroes, but the villains will still be dark and evil and do gross and sicking acts.

As long as ONLY the Villains are acting like jerks and are the only ones doing the murdering, I guess it's an improvement, but Heroes if they are real heroes should never act that way, like they did during the Dark Age/Iron Age.

I don't have a problem with jerk heroes or characters that behave badly - in fact, the Shannon Doherty-esque scheming man-chaser Mantis, and the snotty Leona Helmsley-esque Moondragon are both two of my favorite characters not in spite of, but BECAUSE of their many flaws as people (that, and the fact they had Steve Englehart, arguably the greatest comic book writer that ever lived, characterizing them).

But you are right when you say that villains should be the people that primarily make mischief and heroes should be kept behaving heroically, not because this has a value in and of itself but because that is how they are characterized as being and to write them otherwise would be bad writing.

A lot of people started complaining when Geoff Johns had Gorilla Grodd eat human flesh, but I don't have a problem with this. First, Grodd is a savage, fearsome gorilla, and making him carnivorous is in the Edgar Rice Burroughs pulp tradition. Second, Grodd has been characterized as an amoral rattlesnake ALREADY; the idea that he would eat people isn't exactly the most shocking thing in the world. Destroying the Earth with a mind-suck ray powered by the sword Excalibur is actually a STEP UP from just eating people.

It's a step in the right direction if the DCU is going with "LAW AND ORDER syndrome." Watch the show, you notice that only the bad guys smoke; good guys do not. I feel very sorry for Michael Madsen on the SVU set when he starts to have a nic fit.

Quote from: "Gangbuster Thorul"
The Stupid Death of Conner Kent didn't make him any more heroic to me; he still seems like a pretty flat character. They ruined him when they gave him that stupid T-shirt, gave him names like "Conner Kent" and "Kon-El", and made him Superman and Lex Luthor's baby. He was more interesting as simply a hormone-driven teenager with an ambiguous origin.

I disagree. I thought Conner's end was poignantly written and heroic, especially in light of the fact that Geoff Johns did everything he could to make the character likeable. Geoff Johns does this: make characters likeable and then kill them off shortly after. Superboy's death was something that Supergirl's death (which left me slightly nauseous) failed to do: create a heroic sequence and not have the character die like a dog.

The YOUNG JUSTICE period, where Superboy and his moron buddies were presented as pizza-eating slackers (with Superboy with an origin so labyrinthine it bordered on the mythological) was the absolute nadir of DC Comics in the 1990s, featuring irritating stereotypes of how old guys think kids talk and act. It was like a Bizarro World ENDER'S GAME: Orson Scott Card showed that kids are far, far smarter than adults give them credit for, whereas YOUNG JUSTICE showed them as far, far dumber.

It really says something that Johns was able to get an old school guy like me to like Superboy by having him achieve maturity.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L