superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonLois & Clark: The Ghost of Superman FutureHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:40:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some Superboy questions...  (Read 3138 times)
Russell
Superman Emergency Squad

« on: April 07, 2006, 12:28:48 AM »

In the Silver Age, just how old was Kal when Krypton died? I've heard, in comics, conflicting reports of 2 and 3.

When did he first meet Lana? When they were children, no?
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 01:14:31 PM »

In the Silver and Bronze Ages - at least - Kal-El nearly always looks to be a toddler to me, when he comes to Earth, roughly about two, two and a half years old, tops, definitely not an infant, except maybe in a few very early origin stories (1940s or so).

As for Lana Lang, I don't really know.

She was introduced in 1950, and I haven't read her very early stories, but it is my guess she and Clark probably were originally envisaged as meeting for the first time when they were on the verge of puberty, or in their early teens.

Having said that, Jerry Siegel wrote a back-story in the 1960s in which Clark, Lana, Lex Luthor, and Pete Ross all met up when they were about kindergarten age - this despite stories from the 1940s and 1950s which usually showed Luthor as much older.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 03:57:08 PM »

Quote from: "Russell"
In the Silver Age, just how old was Kal when Krypton died? I've heard, in comics, conflicting reports of 2 and 3.

When did he first meet Lana? When they were children, no?

I don't how old he was but he could clearly walk but not talk so around 2 seems about right.

He 1st meant Lana in Smallville High School.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Continental Op
Superman Family

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 03:28:00 PM »

In the earliest origin stories and in the movie, Kal-El was only an infant when he was sent to Earth; but during the Silver Age there were so many flashbacks to his time on Krypton that they had to stretch it out and make him a toddler of as much as three (Earth) years of age.

He was certainly old enough to comprehend events and even have conversations with adults before leaving Krypton (even if it was in Weisinger's "me do this, me do that" version of baby-talk). For example, he protested when Jor-El was sending Krypto up in a test rocket, and told Jor-El when their neighbor Dev-Em broke in to his lab. My favorite is his adventure with "Uncle Brainiac" (SUPERBOY #106).

Of course, Kryptonian children were supposed to be much more advanced than Earth children, intelligence-wise, so he could have been much younger than he seemed to be. Still, the general consensus became that he was a toddler, yet not quite old enough to really remember Krypton when the Kents adopted him. Exposures to Kryptonite in his youth eroded his memories of Krypton even more, and as a teenager he usually had to use his "memory restorer ray" to remember specific details about his time on Krypton. The "life story" retelling in ACTION COMICS #500 does a nice job of pulling all these details together.

The Byrne revamp, of course, had him literally BORN on Earth, with no memory of it until Jor-El's computer program "downloaded" all its history into his mind as an adult. Not sure how old they currently hold him to be during the rocket flight, but post-BIRTHRIGHT he is generally considered to be an infant again, I think.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L