superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:37:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Newbie.... Confused  (Read 5703 times)
sandmountainslim
Superman's Pal

« on: April 08, 2006, 09:04:33 PM »

Hello All,
I am a newbie around these parts but was a regular reader of all Superman titles from the late seventies until I stopped altogether right after Clark and Lois's wedding in the 90's. I have recently decided to give the Super Titles another chance starting with Superman #650 and will say that I AM impressed, I for one believe that it is a good thing to see Adventures of Superman become the Superman title once again and I feel that the only reason that it lost its title to begin with was because of the ego of John Byrne, don't get me wrong I loved MOS and what he did with the character, loved his stories but I always felt the original book recieved the short end of the stick when the new Superman #1 came out. I am also told that the new All Star Superman series features the Silver Age Supes? Perhaps I have been away for too long because it is a bit confusing to me right now (especially the fact than the second series is dead and the All Star Supes)  Sorry if I said alot for a first post. Look forward to meeting all here.
William Potter
RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 10:07:14 PM »

All Star Superman all the way. I'm not a big fan of Byrne, though I do like Superman's bio aura. Still if you want a taste of the real classic Superman done right in this modern world, get All Star.

"...and as the fledgeling Man of Steel looks for the first time over the skyline of this city, this, Metropolis, he utters the syllables with which history is made and legends are forged: This, looks like a job...for Superman."
sandmountainslim
Superman's Pal

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 11:17:57 PM »

Does the renaming of Adventures of Superman and cancellation of the second series  therefore return of the original series mean the ultimate end of Byrne's revamp and all that it meant?
Russell
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 11:49:25 PM »

All Star Superman is without a doubt the way to go.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 01:09:20 AM »

Quote from: "sandmountainslim"
Does the renaming of Adventures of Superman and cancellation of the second series  therefore return of the original series mean the ultimate end of Byrne's revamp and all that it meant?

The "original" series was always in a state of change anyways, and given the rate of changes in current comics, nothing is foreve...there are still elements of the post Crisis era around...
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 01:18:33 AM »

Quote from: "sandmountainslim"

I think it has more to do with DC wanting to reduce the number of Superman titles. I think it's the right move--you don't want too many titles featuring the same character.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 01:46:17 AM »

BTW, All Star Superman does not equal "Silver Age" Superman, it has a flavor and style similar to Silver and Bronze Age stories..
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 04:20:25 AM »

Byrne's MOS revamp hasn't been "tossed out," as much as it has been completely replaced with the new Birthright origin - although DC is pretty much skirting the issue as to what his current origin is - as seen in Superman 650, the implication is that it's not that important.

All-Star Superman isn't really the Silver or Bronze Age Superman per se - more of a "no crisis" interpretation of the character.  I believe that Grant Morrison has described it as a what-if-crisis-never-happened type scenario.  However, just like in the pre-Crisis comics, Superman has gone through continuity changes, we just don't know what they all were.  The end result being that you've got pre- and post-crisis continuity elements combined.    But the character himself is very Bronze Age, very definitive.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L