superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonSuperman Through the Ages!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:59:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many times has the Superfamily...  (Read 6788 times)
Russell
Superman Emergency Squad

« on: April 10, 2006, 02:04:49 AM »

Been responsible for some important thing happening in history?

Looking at the sheer amount of time travel done by the Superfamily Pre-Crisis, it's no suprise that they've impacted tons of things...

Krypto, under the influence of red sun radiation, was the cow that kicked over a lamp to start the Chicago Fire. :lol:

Superboy was involved with a Mongolian who would later become Genghis Khan...

Lex Luthor was responsible for the great Earthquake of... Eh, I forget. Basically the biggest earthquake ever to hit the US.

Whatcha got?
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 02:28:10 AM »

Probably a lot more than I can remember, it was a pretty popular plot device in second and third stories in the 60s...Superbaby dug up a chunk of gold that led to the California Gold Rush and helped Jason retrieve the Golden Fleece (including taking the heat from a dragon) in one adventure just because he was looking for gold because Ma Kent lost an earring!
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 02:34:48 AM »

That was the great San Francisco quake of 1906 you're thinking of.  Here's the page in question:

http://superman.nu/tales2/luthor-super-hero/?page=23

Luthor also kept Superboy from saving Abe Lincoln at the Ford Theater, if you can count that.  Not all time-tampering "took" however...Jimmy Olsen introduced Beatlemania to the ancient Middle East, but no records of the craze survived.  :lol: (Talk about "a hit before your mother was born!")

This looks like a job for...
Russell
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 03:17:58 AM »

Quote from: "nightwing"
That was the great San Francisco quake of 1906 you're thinking of.  Here's the page in question:

http://superman.nu/tales2/luthor-super-hero/?page=23

Luthor also kept Superboy from saving Abe Lincoln at the Ford Theater, if you can count that.  Not all time-tampering "took" however...Jimmy Olsen introduced Beatlemania to the ancient Middle East, but no records of the craze survived.  :lol: (Talk about "a hit before your mother was born!")

Hahaha, good stuff Nightwing, thanks.

Quote from: "MatterEaterLad"
Probably a lot more than I can remember, it was a pretty popular plot device in second and third stories in the 60s...Superbaby dug up a chunk of gold that led to the California Gold Rush and helped Jason retrieve the Golden Fleece (including taking the heat from a dragon) in one adventure just because he was looking for gold because Ma Kent lost an earring!

Yeah, I read that one a few days ago.

The fleece became darker colored because of the fumes from the dragon when it was attacking Superbaby. Funny stuff.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 03:25:35 AM »

You must still have a good comic collection...what issue was that?  Its been almost 35 years since I read that story...
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 01:31:02 PM »

Quote from: "Russell"
Been responsible for some important thing happening in history?

Looking at the sheer amount of time travel done by the Superfamily Pre-Crisis, it's no suprise that they've impacted tons of things...

Krypto, under the influence of red sun radiation, was the cow that kicked over a lamp to start the Chicago Fire. :lol:

Superboy was involved with a Mongolian who would later become Genghis Khan...

Lex Luthor was responsible for the great Earthquake of... Eh, I forget. Basically the biggest earthquake ever to hit the US.

Whatcha got?

Wonder what the Atom made of that Krypto incident, given *he* was there at the time as well (via the Time Pool, in an early 70's story I have a reprint of)... ;-)

JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 02:37:17 PM »

As I recall, Jimmy Olsen temporarily subbed for David during the battle with Goliath in one of the issues of his title. True to form, at first Goliath pretended to be an ally of David's, giving Jimmy a whistle that he could use to call Goliath: a sort of bronze age signal watch. Of course, this was all revealed to be a trick by the Biblical Behemoth, who planned to wring Jimmy's neck thinking he was David when he could get the opportunity.

Quote from: "Johnny Nevada"
Wonder what the Atom made of that Krypto incident, given *he* was there at the time as well (via the Time Pool, in an early 70's story I have a reprint of)... ;-)

Ah, you mean "Suddenly, the Witness Vanished!" which was by none other than Elliot S! Maggin himself? The idea of that story is that of a man who goes to the future to steal records - but he finds himself in the obituaries, and discovers he will die in the Great Chicago Fire, and when the Atom tries to get him to come to the present to save his life, he accidentally knocks over Mrs. O'Leary's cow.

It doesn't surprise me there are multiple explanations for the Great Chicago Fire. Aren't there like six or seven different versions of Atlantis in DC alone?

And I wonder how many explanations there are for how the dinosaurs died, or who REALLY built stonehenge.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Spaceman Spiff
Superman Family

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 01:54:16 AM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
...he accidentally knocks over Mrs. O'Leary's cow.

...and then the cow exploded just like all those cars that went over a cliff in Hawaii Five-O? Methane is more unstable than nitro, apparently.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L