superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:00:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Justice League meets the animated Legion  (Read 7198 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« on: April 13, 2006, 02:05:21 AM »

Spoilers:

So I just watched the latest episode of the animated Justice League on YTV here at the North Pole since my little nephew was visiting.  At 5, he's not old enough for most comics (not a big reader yet) but he likes video games and superhero tv (he has Spider-Man the Movie on PSP --which is apparently a portable video game & dvd player).

Anyway, I haven't seen any of these shows for the better part of a year and I understand that it's being cancelled at the end of this season (along with Teen Titans).  Pity, because I enjoyed myself.

The episode was called Far From Home (it airs this weekend on the Cartoon Network --I checked).

The plot: Green Arrow, Green Lantern, and Supergirl are teleported via Time Bubble to the future to help Brainiac 5 and Bouncing Boy defeat the Fatal Five.

The twist: Historical records indicate that Supergirl vanishes sometime in the early 21st Century, and everyone assumes she will die on this mission.

The episode has my highest recommendation --very fun, even if there is a lot of dumb punching: every member of the Legion makes a cameo with tons of Silver Age references and props, time-paradoxes are mentioned, Bouncing Boy is a featured attraction, and Supergirl and her cousin are spotlighted, with a radical denouement.  Lots of nods and in-jokes for older fans and great romance for everyone.

All of the main characters have their classic costume designs slightly Kirby-fied (Bruce Timm-ified?), giving the episode a great retro vibe.  If you want to see an animated Supergirl and the Legion, this may be one of the best chances you will ever have (even though Kara has that mid-rift baring costume and Brainy has some headgear inspired by the cartoon version of his ancestor).  It ain't exactly an animated Curt Swan (or peers) epic, but darn near.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 02:08:38 AM »

How cool...I'm glad that the simple hybrid stories (but with cool references) of Timm are going to have a nice ending...
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 02:19:45 AM »

A very nice ending.  I was quite impressed how so much was put into a kids' show and how neatly all these little things from the comics and the tv series dovetailed.  Pop culture gold!  

(the theme music is awful, though --we prefer the Teen Titans at our house)

Great quotes:

(said while facing the Fatal Five alone)
Supergirl: So, what are your powers? Super strength? Speed?
Brainiac 5: I have a twelfth level intellect.
Supergirl: Great, you can knock 'em out with your diploma.

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 02:27:44 AM »

LOL, great line...

I did like the original Justice League theme music...

I'm going to miss all the series, maybe my favorite was the STAS episode with Dr. Fate, I really liked how they called the magic demon Karkull, even though it was just an allusion to Fate's Golden Age career...I also like that Batman episode where kids argued over stories about whether the Sprang Batman, the Timm Batman, or the Miller Batman was really "real"...
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 11:54:33 AM »

This runs on Cartoon Net here in the states?

Finally getting cable in 2 weeks. I hope they have reruns. Sad
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 12:20:53 PM »

Ah, Telle, your unfamiliarity with the PSP makes me feel very young and trendy, especially since I own one myself. Mind you, it occurs to me that I am probably the only PSP owner in the whole world who wears tweed jackets and smokes a pipe.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 12:41:20 PM »

Quote from: "Permanus"
Ah, Telle, your unfamiliarity with the PSP makes me feel very young and trendy, especially since I own one myself. Mind you, it occurs to me that I am probably the only PSP owner in the whole world who wears tweed jackets and smokes a pipe.

Well, of course I had heard of the thing, but never held one in my hand until this 5-year old showed me how.  Cheesy

This runs on Cartoon Net here in the states?

Finally getting cable in 2 weeks. I hope they have reruns

Klar, these whacky young kids upload the episodes as soon as they air and you can probably nab it from one of the peer-to-peer networks/sites.

Otherwise, the show is always in reruns here and I'm sure they will show it all summer before the new Legion series replaces it.  DVDs are a sure thing as well, of course.

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 02:40:23 PM »

I tried one of thos peer thing and it wanted me to open my firewalls and I was like whoaaaaaaaaa - that's like leaving the Fortress unlocked.  :shock:

I mean that's why we have airplane markers in the first place.  Next thing you know super villains have turned your home against you or Batman's melting his wax effigy in your face.

:twisted:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L