superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:46:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A case for Captain Marvel  (Read 17688 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: April 15, 2006, 05:26:49 AM »

enjoy:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=20

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 02:59:20 PM »

Great article! Did anyone read First Thunder, DC's recent "How-Superman-Met-Captain-Marvel" foray? In it, Billy Batson is depicted as a homeless boy whose best friend gets gunned down by Sivana's goons. Consequently, Captain Marvel threatens to torture and decapitate one of the goons, and later threatens Sivana's life. For heaven's sake! Why can't these people just lighten up?

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 05:45:31 AM »

You know, in this fans opinion - the good ol' Cap was just a nifty a superhero as our man in blue.  I always thought the biggest problem was simply how do you have him and Kal in the same universe?  I believe DC should keep him sequestered in his own universe or simply sell him to Marvel or someone.  

I have yet to see any writer come up with a decent way to manage them in the same universe, unless you consider Eart S.  I thought JLU's take on that was interesting, and a good try, but not something that I thought was the answer.  

In all honesty, I think that there would always be some chip on the shoulder of the both of them when they met.  I can't see Cap looking up to Supes.  I mean, if you've got a Superman, who needs a Captain Marvel?  But can you imagine a world where Fawcet won against DC and here I'm posting on a site called "Captain Marvel Thru the Ages"?  Wild.

I think Eric is right and someone should try a Captain Marvel envisioning just like the original stories... maybe I just came up with an idea.

-Angel

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 09:27:06 PM »

I think the problem with Cap Marvel is that he had that long hiatus, without an opportunity to be refined as times changed in his stories...which makes him a perfect candidate for an alternative universe to keep the spirit alive...
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 12:59:07 AM »

You are likely correct in that speculation.  He really should remain in an alternate universe.

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 01:23:09 AM »

We need Showcase Shazam badly!

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 01:27:29 AM »

I agree.  And it would be nice to see a series where he's not part of the DCU.

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 01:50:57 AM »

That's what I meant the Fawcett issues.

DC has never ever done Captain Marvel right. I don't care about those issues. But they can print them after printing the complete Golden Age run. Now I know, that they may not have all the issues. But, they do have a ton of money and there is going to be a new film coming out in a few years, and it was one of the most important comic runs in history. I belive it is worth it.

- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L