superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:14:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A case for Captain Marvel  (Read 17692 times)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2006, 08:28:20 PM »

Huh? Garth Ennis wrote a Superman story? Where did this appear? I have a certain guilty fondness for Ennis' style, though it is rather facile. Some of the tough guy dialogue he writes for The Punisher is actually very witty, but I don't really want to see him doing Superman.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2006, 10:07:29 PM »

For the most part, Ennis treats superheroes as dark comic relief.

One Hitman story, guest starring Superman, has the two discussing issues etc. At the end Superman flies away and Hitman kills his target. What would have been right? Superman stopping the murder.

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2006, 10:25:55 PM »

Quote from: "Invader ZIM"
Superman stopping the murder.

I hear you! When Superman is around, everyone gets out alive. That's canonical. Ennis just can't do noble, which says a lot about him personally.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2006, 09:49:55 PM »

I am not as swift to dismiss the possibility of a Captain Marvel update as others are.

The reason is that Captain Marvel was denied something that Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman all received: continuous publication.

Superman as a character changed from the 1940s to the 1970s and was still demonstratably Superman. I think it would be unreasonable to assume that Captain Marvel would still be fighting Crocodile Men from Punkus and the earth coming to life and throwing all humans, once we get into the more science fiction and adventure elements of the 1960s, a period with very different storytelling and emphasis. Note how different the trolls and paint-faced robots of the Monster Society of Evil are from the time travelling tyrants of the Jerry Siegel Legion of Super-Villains. Note how different late 1950s-early sixties space foe Brainiac is from Marvel's space enemy, the Goatman.

Cap on the other hand, suffers from permanent arrested development. When we think of Captain Marvel, we think of 1940s-1950s Cap with Otto Binder. Now, try to imagine a world where Batman was canceled in 1962, when we had the Bat-Family of Batwoman, Bat-Girl, Ace the Bat-Hound, and so forth, and without Len Wein and Englehart and others to give us their take, which led to Batman and his world being viewed as radically different.

Obviously, this comparison is inexact as Batman and Captain Marvel are different in many ways. However, all this said, I cannot blame nor hold it against any creators for not being 100% in tune with the Lieutenant Marvels and Mr. Tawny, or with the very, very 1950s vibe of the entire series.

Granted, Captain Marvel has had a few series here and there, but even so, he has something that Superman has never had to contend with: the perception that his 1940s-1950s take as his "definitive" one.

Now, note this is an entirely different question than saying, "Will Judd Winnick deliver on Captain Marvel," as I have never read anything by Winnick I really like. I'm just talking about the IDEA here.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2006, 02:07:48 AM »

I am not 100% against updating him as long as it's just as fun as his Golden Age run. I am still looking forward to Jeff Smith's All-Star Captain Marvel, well like Alex Ross's Justice, it won't be called that but that is what it is.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2006, 02:45:50 AM »

Yeah, I think the gap is pretty documented in this thread, actually, he COULD be another super powerful being, I just like the idea of his stories being in another universe, where he could live free with his goofy family and villains, rather than being a close analog of Superman...
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2006, 07:07:57 AM »

I don't mind if it's set in a self-contained universe or in the DC continuity, as long as you can pick up a copy and know it's going to be different and funny. I quite like the current insistence on Captain Marvel as a magical being (this was not particularly evident in the Golden Age), as this puts him in a different category from most superheroes anyway*. You could probably use him quite well with DC's magical set anyway; maybe he should be a Vertigo character, except, you know, a funny one.

I loved Darwyn Cooke's treatment of him in The New Frontier, with Billy Batson on the Moon scoffing ice cream. That's the sort of thing I want to see, not the homeless kid who sees his best friend cut in half by machine gun fire and goes off on a revenge spree.

*I even liked the way he sort of killed himself in DKR 2, by vanishing "like a dream".

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L