superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:32:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A case for Captain Marvel  (Read 17687 times)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 02:16:29 AM »

I'd love to see the original stories, but I'd like to see a lot of the Golden Age DC stories as well, Green Lantern and Dolby Dickles and "Goitrude" and all that stuff the way it really was...
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 02:18:27 AM »

I meant a new series completely outside of the DCU.

This is a tough one - I find it very hard to consider how you could fully develop CM in the same universe as Supes, frankly because they are cut from such a similar cloth.

The thing that is the same about them is that they are both "world heros" so to speak.  What I mean is that they are big enough and able enough - and resultantly - responsible enough to consider world difficulties are their problems, and they are each able to handle them themselves.  Further, in some of the best classic cases they ascribe to be best possible virtues that we ourselves find inspiring.  Sure, that can be said of any hero in a broad sense, but as a case in point - Spiderman is generally a very local or immediate sphere of influence kind of guy.

As a counter point, I can see Thor and Superman or CM in the same universe as Thor is much more aloof to the world from his Asgardian viewpoint - he's not an Earth bred, born or raised respresentative.  Heck, any other Supes clone would also be easy to work out in the same universe as they are mainly just upstarts and wanna-be.

But the most heroic version Supes would be by nature an apex of idealistic human virtues, as a most heroic version of CM would be too.  So in their most trying and challanging circumstances, they would pretty much do the same thing - as Kingdom Come demonstrated.  Had the shoes been in the other foot, Supes would have done exactly as CM had.

However, there is one thing that I really agree with about CM not being as developed due to his hiatus.  I don't think I have ever heard of anyone really developing why those Gods and heros of a couple of different backgrounds (herbrew and Greek and Roman, to be technical) got together to bestow their powers to the Marvels.  What a neat story that would could be!  There's as much potential background development there as any Krypton or Smallville stories.

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 02:33:36 PM »

Ouch, doesn't look good for Billy.

:arrow:  From WIZARD #176 ...

TRIALS OF SHAZAM! (July, 12 issue mini)
Team: writer Judd Winick, artist Howard Porter
New Take: DC promises a major change to Captain Marvel that's "along the lines of John Byrne's revision of Superman during the '80s" boasted Winick. "There has to be a place that Captain Marvel can occupy, and that is the realm of magic and mysticism."

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 02:44:08 PM »

Oh man...

I believe these days if you are a writer you're supposed to read boards - then do the exact opposite of what you read.

(Not really, but there are days you think that's the way it is.)

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 03:54:56 PM »

Hopefully they are taking the advice of the fans who wanted a more grim and gritty Cap, as Julian mentioned awhile ago.
 Cheesy

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 03:13:43 AM »

Trials of Shazam! update

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71004

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 03:39:08 AM »

DC Comics have never done a good Captain Marvel comic, not pre-crsis, not post-crisis, not ever.

It doesn't seem that will be changing anytime soon.

I am however, looking forward to this:

http://dccomics.com/comics/?cm=5806

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2006, 09:25:02 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
DC Comics have never done a good Captain Marvel comic, not pre-crsis, not post-crisis, not ever.

I think Don Newton did a few stories - I liked those a lot.

Quote from: "newsarama"
...working to redefine Shazam and the entire Marvel Family for the present day.

I've lost count of how many times I've heard this one before...

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L