superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 06:42:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What would you do with a copy of Superman #1?  (Read 10614 times)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« on: April 15, 2006, 08:47:40 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6620675142&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:

According to the seller, this came from her mother's estate.

See below...

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 09:05:00 PM »

whatever itwas the buyer got it for $87...so either SCORE!!!!

or sucker..... :roll:
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 09:08:06 PM »

see below....

-"Superman", 1960

nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 01:32:48 AM »

Yes, the Famous First Edition reprint had that cover you show (second image), but inside that (more or less cardboard) cover was a slick-paper recreation of the original cover, as shown in the first image.

The outer cover is removed all the time and the rest of the book sold to unsuspecting mom's, grandmas' etc in flea markets across America.  This scam's been going on almost since the FFE book first came out.

The tip-off is the size.  The FFE volumes, like the Limited Collector Editions, were "tabloid"-size books while the Golden Age original is smaller...bigger than a modern comic, yes, but smaller than the tabloids.  The listing gives the size as 13x10 inches, which fits the tabloids, or near enough, and is much bigger than a GA book.  Sure looks like you're the proud owner of a 1978 reprint.  A bent one with a hole in it.  And from the point of view of serious collectors, a coverless one at that.  :shock:

And to answer the question in your subject line, if I had a copy of Superman #1, I would sell it.  I'd rather have the money than the headache of caring for a super-valuable pile of rotting pulp paper.

With the money I could always buy some vintage Superman toy or other most likely.

This looks like a job for...
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 01:51:44 AM »

Well, I had to take the chance...I should have no trouble getting my money back, either, via eBay security...

Or, I could frame it with my Superman collection and perpetuate the same scam...if I am its victim!

Cheesy

In the meantime, I might as well scan it and donate it to the site. We already have a copy of Action #1...

-"Superman", 1960

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 02:07:07 AM »

Be careful, since there was another reprint that was just like the real one, which I have and came in that box set with the history book and the Alex Ross figure which was in 1999.

On the inside cover it states:

"This publication , an exact reprint of Superman #1 (1939), faithfully reproduces all advertising contained in the original."

Last line states:

"Reprinted by Cronicle Books,.... Printed in China"

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 02:47:12 AM »

I'm pretty sure that it's the 1978 reprint. Another eBay user tipped me off before Nightwing posted his info as well, and it seems to make sense.

Yet I went ahead and paid for it anyway...I want to catch this sucker and rain down justice! What better way to do this than to personally inspect the comic, and get the seller's name and address...at least I hope so! I'm risking about 90 bucks on this...

-"Superman", 1960

Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 09:16:59 AM »

I'd keep it in my "comics bin", so the Beagle Boys couldn't steal it!

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L