superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:29:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What would you do with a copy of Superman #1?  (Read 10673 times)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2006, 01:00:09 PM »

I seem to remember the same thing happening to Joe Matt in his autobiographical comic book Peep Show; as a boy, he bought a copy of "Action Comics #1" which turned out to be a reprint.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 01:10:36 PM »

I'm not sure how much luck you'll have "raining down justice" on the seller.  You'd have to prove they misrepresented the nature of the book, and it could go either way.  Yes, they say it's a "1939 Superman comic" but a quick scan of the contents show's that is indeed what it claims to be (since DC chose to reprint the book exactly).  There's always the possibility, though in my opinion a slim one, that the seller didn't know what he/she had.  This is why this kind of thing is often sold with a description like, "I don't know much about comic books, but this appears to be...."  That's a disclaimer that lets the seller off the hook, while luring in the buyers who know just enough to be a danger to themselves ("heh, heh, that thing's worth a fortune!  I'll rob him blind!").

Now if they'd claimed to have some certificate of authenticity, or faked a "slab"-type presentation with a bogus grade rating, then they'd be obvious scam artists.

Back to that repro in the "Masterpiece" edition, I may be mistaken, but I don't think that was a complete reprint.  It sure didn't seem 64 pages long.

This looks like a job for...
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 03:45:53 PM »

On a related note: beware of people seelling anything autographed byfilm director Stanley Kubrick.  I had bid on a 2001 album allegedly signed by SK and the auction was abruptly cancelled.  Kubrick rarely signed anything and I guess someone involved with his estate got wind of it.
Lucky for me......
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2006, 06:07:06 PM »

I decided against the "rain down justice" option and instead decided to be nice to the seller. She really didn't know what she had, and offered a refund.

This whole thing is overshadowed by a package I got in the mail yesterday, which I had forgotten about. Inside was a 1942 first edition copy of "The Adventures of Superman," dust jacket intact, autographed by Kirk Alyn.

The previous owner had it for 30 years and had no clue whose signature was it in the book. It happened like this:

I was thinking about getting the Adventures of Superman for some time now. I looked on Amazon.com at the originals, but they are usually around 200 or 300 dollars.

I looked back a couple of days later, and a guy had listed his for $99. He'd had it for 30 years and just wanted to get rid of it. There was a signature in it, but he didn't know exactly whose it was.

So there you have it. When you are collecting Memorabilia Supreme, you win some and lose some. I still came out a winner this week. Even though the $1 copy of "Victory by Computer" that I got is kind of ambigious.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2006, 07:34:03 PM »

A happy ending Smiley

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2006, 08:43:24 AM »

I would use the copy of Superman #1 to find a cure for cancer!

(Do you think that it would have healing properties if you allowed people to touch it?)

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2006, 02:23:26 PM »

(Do you think that it would have healing properties if you allowed people to touch it?)

I don't know, but I have a stain in my shower that looks like the cover of Superman #1.

And I once had a potato shaped just like Lex Luthor's head.  It looked good in my memorabilia display until it started growing shoots.

This looks like a job for...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2006, 04:01:16 PM »

I once had a potato chip shaped like a potato chip.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L