superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:05:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll
Question: Geoff Johns: Hero or Menace?  (Voting closed: April 20, 2006, 12:54:29 AM)
Hero - 7 (50%)
Menace - 7 (50%)
Total Voters: 13

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman 651  (Read 12683 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: April 20, 2006, 05:44:20 AM »

Superman 651; the bodycount:

2 bystanders fall to their death;
2 guards have their brains sucked out and eaten;
one man has his heart ripped out by a completely uncaring monster who regards human life as disposable and gloats in cruelty.

You'd think the CCA would catch this stuff.

I will have to drop the Superman books until Geoff Johns is off them, and I will be returning this issue to the store for a refund.

The previous two issues were fun while they lasted, though.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 06:29:27 AM »

one man has his heart ripped out by a completely uncaring monster who regards human life as disposable and gloats in cruelty.

By the same guy who accidently destroyed an entire planet full of people, including his own family, in an attempt to kill Superman (and blamed him for the incident). Did he not?

I will continue to pick up the books, they haven't been this good in ages.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 06:34:23 AM »

The key difference here is "accidently" versus tortuously cruel, gloating, and graphicly violent.

Besides, you've touched on one of the many reasons that I don't like Marv Wolfman, either. Smiley

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 06:45:18 AM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"
Superman 651; the bodycount:

2 bystanders fall to their death;

Where?

2 guards have their brains sucked out and eaten;

Their blood sucked out, actually.  Fleas drink blood, they don't eat brains.  And I plotted that bit.

That particular man has survived such treatment before, so I hardly think it adds to the bodycount.    And the man who did it has been uncaring and a killer for decades, and has often gloated in cruelty.

You'd think the CCA would catch this stuff.

There is no CCA rule against there being deaths in comic books.  Otherwise, those bastards Siegel and Shuster, who blew up a whole planet, would be booted out of the industry right alongside that parent-killer Bob Kane.

I will have to drop the Superman books until Geoff Johns is off them, and I will be returning this issue to the store for a refund.

The previous two issues were fun while they lasted, though.

First issue's bodycount is at least as high -- two scientists killed on the Avenue of Tomorrow.

Second issue didn't have any on-panel deaths, but it did establish that one of the villains liked burning through people with fake heat-vision.

Next two issues have no on-panel deaths that I can recall offhand.

kdb
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 06:46:20 AM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"
Besides, you've touched on one of the many reasons that I don't like Marv Wolfman, either. Smiley

You don't like Marv Wolfman because of a Cary Bates story?

I voted "Menace," though.  "Threat" wasn't one of the choices...

kdb
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 06:56:36 AM »

The key difference here is "accidently" versus tortuously cruel, gloating, and graphicly violent.

By a guy that has been a villian for decades (one that has killed in the past, if I had my archives available, then I would go into detail). For me, that's the key difference. Villian. Not the hero.

Yes, some of the violence is graphic. But, this is nothing compared to Infinite Crisis (and you already know my opinion on that).

I'm just glad that the heroes are heroes again.
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 08:05:40 AM »

Meh. I think Johns is a great writer (ditto for Busiek). At the moment, the violence content doesn't bother me the least in the Superman books.

Heck, Metallo used to steal HUMAN hearts (by teleportation) from his still living victims. Keep in mind that this was in the seventies. The point is that some villains are going to be killers. And frankly, it's not like the Superman mythos (including the pre-Crisis one) doesn't have its history of villains that killed. While it might not have been as graphic, it still happened. Besides Metallo, another good example is Jax-Ur, who blew up an inhabited moon of Krypton by accident (there's that word again) and felt no sympathy over his actions. As for Luthor being a killer--well, he is. Birthright established that he'll kill to accomplish his goals. He's willing to sacrifice people to achieve his ends--including his own allies.

Anyway, I like the current Superman comics (though my favorite is still All-Star Superman) and will continue to support them. Why? Because I enjoy reading them. I'm not trying to convince anyone or invalidate their opinions, though. I just had to get that off my chest.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 12:49:57 PM »

Cant say until I catch up with this stuff.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L