superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonBatman!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 06:45:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll
Question: Who'd win in a three way race?  (Voting closed: April 21, 2006, 06:10:53 AM)
Green Arrow's Arrowplane - 0 (0%)
Batman's Batplane - 1 (12.5%)
Wonder Woman's Robot Plane - 7 (87.5%)
Total Voters: 8

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman in the Gardner Fox/Sekowsky Justice League  (Read 6294 times)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 08:34:53 AM »

Quote from: "nightwing"
What I remember about Sekowsky is that he could never draw Superman's emblem so that it looked like an "S." Then when he left came Dick Dillin, who if anything was even worse. Dillin's S-shield looked like a snake that wriggled into a slightly different position in each panel. But never in the course of 100 or so issues did it ever settle into a shape remotely like an "S."

Though to be fair, this is hardly Sekowsky's fault. That "S" shield is the hardest superhero symbol to ever duplicate in world history. I have a theory it was only actually drawn once, and photostats were made on that one drawing of everything else from t-shirts to all the comic books.

I know this from personal experience of scribbling on paper when bored. After years and years and years of trying, I have never successfully been able to accurately duplicate the S-Shield without it feeling "off."

Quote from: "MatterEaterLad"
Its funny how much I loved "Challenge of the Weapons Master" for that very reason of the heroes deducing the final conflict and the factoids thrown in...

I agree! The reason I love these "I caught the villain because he tested me on obscure trivia" battles is because it makes you slap your forehead and say "WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT?" As something like this is based on real world facts. I loved the battle with Xotar, but one aspect of the Doctor Light battle that bothered me was Doctor Light mentioning that he was to steal priceless sources of art, but based on that, they guessed that Doctor Light was going to steal Thomas Edison's first lightbulb (!). Now, that's one hell of a hunch right there - it's strange to imagine how any reader would jump to that on the scanty evidence provided. On the other hand, something like the clues about Mount Rushmore in the battle with Xotar have this sort of DA VINCI CODE appeal where any reader with an almanac can probably follow along with the good guys.

This is why my personal favorite of the 1960s Batman episodes are the Riddler episodes. Not just because Frank Gorshin (and his temporary replacement, Gomez Addams) is such a hilarious character actor, but also because it meant it was all-but guaranteed when the Riddler showed up that Batman was going to use his noggin that particular episode.

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
They can also do complex math problems

Didn't Stanislav Grof once give several dolphins LSD?

Now THAT would be one awesome JUSTICE LEAGUE plot point!

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L