superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:17:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lookin' for info...  (Read 3876 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: April 21, 2006, 06:21:20 PM »

Anyone remember where this was originally published?

http://superman.nu/a/superman.php

I think it may have been in a DC comic.

I've been contacted by a publisher trying to get copyright info and publication permission for it, and unfortunately, I don't have any info!  I typed this one in so long ago that I forgot where I got it from... :?

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 09:07:51 PM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"
Anyone remember where this was originally published?

Nemo: The Classic Comics Library #2.

kdb
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 09:54:10 PM »

Thanks.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 06:14:17 AM »

It looks like that article in question is actually a compilation of Siegel quotes that I stitched together from various sources, although it's possible that all of the quotes are from that 1983 Nemo #2 interview as you state.  I just haven't managed to sift all of them out yet.

S!

Doug Barr
Supermen of America

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 04:45:25 PM »

I thought it had been published in a science fiction magazine that Siegal & Shuster put out on their own, a magazine where they reviewed sci-fi stories & films, & which, I believe, Julius Schwartz had a letter published in one of its early issues in the early 1930s. I may have understood that wrong, cause if I was right I'm sure Rao would have known (Are you asking where 'The Reing of the Superman' was 1st published?) The better question is why was it attributed to a Herbert Fine?

"IT TICKLES"
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 05:12:38 PM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"
It looks like that article in question is actually a compilation of Siegel quotes that I stitched together from various sources, although it's possible that all of the quotes are from that 1983 Nemo #2 interview as you state.  I just haven't managed to sift all of them out yet.

S!

Every paragraph but the last one appears in the NEMO interview, though some are worded slightly differently -- possibly editing for clarity, possibly Siegel telling the same stories over and over, so his wording started to get almost identical with each iteration.  For instance:

Interview:
Well, as a science-fiction fan, I knew of the various themes in the field.  The superman theme has been one of the themes ever since Samson and Hercules; and I just sat down and wrote a story of that type—only in this story, the Superman was a villain.

Edited Essay:
As a science fiction fan, I have long been very familiar with the various themes in the field. The superman theme has been one of them ever since Samson and Hercules. I just sat down and wrote a story of that type - only in this first story, the Superman was a villain.

Interview:
It occurred to me: What if I was real terrific?  What if I had something special going for me, like jumping over buildings or throwing cars around or something like that? 

Essay:
So it occured to me: What if I was really terrific? What if I had something special going for me, like jumping over buildings or throwing cars around or something like that?

Interview:
Carter was able to leap great distances because the planet Mars was smaller that the planet Earth; and he had great strength.

Essay:
Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter was able to leap great distances while on Mars because the planet was smaller than Earth, and so he had great strength.

If the last line appears somewhere in the interview, I didn't spot it.  But for the most part, that text, in substantially-similar form, appears in NEMO in that order -- it's edited down, but not moved around.

kdb
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 09:36:37 PM »

It sure looks a lot like something I might have done, but I have no idea why nor have I any memory of having done it.  I probably got the last line from somewhere else, also lost to memory.

I wonder where that leaves the copyright status...

S!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L