superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:40:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman & Orson Welles  (Read 3039 times)
Doug Barr
Supermen of America

« on: April 29, 2006, 03:23:51 PM »

Has anyone seen a comic featuring Superman & Orson Welles? It is in a book I have called "Superman from the 30s to the 70s". It is sort of a take off on Welles "War of the worlds" broadcast, only this time the Martains are real! It was done during a time when Welles was making a film (he didnt direct) called 'Black Magic'.
  I find it interesting because I have heard that Welles was inspired by comics when he made 'Citizen Kane' &, in turn 'Kane' inspired the comics back again.
   You know, people are going to say im crazy (what else is new?) but I think Welles would have been a better Jor-EL than Brando. You cant say he was to fat, Brando was no twiggy either. Could Welles have directed 'Superman'? I dont know, he would definately made an interesting film, but it would probably have veered off the established story too much.

"IT TICKLES"
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 03:42:50 PM »

I have the same book.

Here is his entry: http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Orson_Welles

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 01:27:46 AM »

Orson Welles's love of comics and Superman and so forth was a big plot point in KAVALIER AND CLAY. Though what Dolores del Rio was doing in the mix there I'll never know.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Doug Barr
Supermen of America

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 02:48:15 PM »

Dolores Del Rio was a big Wonder Woman geek.Thats what she was doing in the mix. She used to wear braclets, tie up orson in her lasso  cause she thought he had to tell the truth in it, she even was convinced she had an invisable airplane. It wasnt long before Welles moved on to Rita Hayworth, who ended up being convinced she was catwoman!

"IT TICKLES"
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 11:17:32 PM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
Orson Welles's love of comics and Superman and so forth was a big plot point in KAVALIER AND CLAY. Though what Dolores del Rio was doing in the mix there I'll never know.

The big question is what Dolores del Rio is doing OUT of any mix.  She is an essential nutrient, as far as I'm concerned.

Doug, I heard the same thing about those girls.  It was in an old issue of Look Magazine from 1948.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L