superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:29:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Infinite Crisis #7 Why?!  (Read 39692 times)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2006, 09:01:20 PM »

"Continuity waves?" what the...

and they have changed Prime's origin, to make him grow up on a farm. I'm not optimistic about this, because it looks like a way to get rid of Superboy...

Basically, the series is anticlimatic and boils down to this:

All of the BAD things that happened in comics for the last 20 years happened because Superboy Prime punched a wall, and/or Alexander Luthor was moving planets around with his magical hands. On the other hand, all of the GOOD things that have happened in the last 20 years will not matter, because those characters all died in this series.

Even I, who am planning to write a Legion of Super-Pets story, find this to be illogical.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Kal's Pal
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2006, 09:15:08 PM »

From the Counselling Session with Dido...

Q: Why has Super Boy's Prime's origin been changed from being adopted by a career couple (in his origin story) to farmers (in the Secret Files)?

DD: Between the Continuity Waves and formation of the single “New Earth”, the origins of the two Supermen and Prime melded and now, for the most part, they share a similar timeline.

'Melded... and share a similiar timeline'? So what, Superman-Prime is maybe now retconned as a version of Kal-El from the past, when he was Superboy? Kal-L is now instead retconned as an older version of Superman from the future? BAFFLING.  :shock:

Q: On "new Earth" will Clark Kent have been Superboy?

DD: Hmmmmmmmmm………….

WHAT?! ...is he Superboy now or isn't he? Batman and Wonder Woman get their rightful origins restored, but not Supes? Why the ambiguity?

Will be picking this up on Friday, but I have to say disappointing. A sad and crushing end for Kal-L, and an utterly disappointing one for Prime and Alexander Luthor... three of whom were heroes pivotal to the the ultimate defeat of the Anti-Monitor of the original Crisis. I had hopes that the multiverse would be restored, that the post-Crisis Earth would function as the template for the rebirth of the Mutliverse which would have been brought about by the energies released after Luthor's tower was destroyed, (and we would learn that it was scheme all along set up by the Monitor before his death. Hence the twist, it was not the Anti-Monitor, but his double behind it all!). As such, Kal-L, Prime and Alexander would be sent back to their respective universes as they were before the original Crisis, (in my imaginary scenario, Kal-L would be reunited with a happy and healthy Lois on Earth-2, Prime would be his young, teenage self, and with no memories of either Crisis on Earth-Prime and Alexander would be reduced to being a newborn baby of Lex and Lois Luthor on Earth-3).

Sigh... fanfic anyone? Wink

"Fellow scientists! Krypton is DOOMED!"
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2006, 09:43:58 PM »

This is really a dang simple story for 7 parts and paying the money...beings that most modern fans have forgotten try to do something big and are defeated, with some odd ideas (melding, continuity waves) and tossed in bloody ends...
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2006, 10:38:31 PM »

Quote from: "Kal's Pal"
From the Counselling Session with Dido...

Q: Why has Super Boy's Prime's origin been changed from being adopted by a career couple (in his origin story) to farmers (in the Secret Files)?

DD: Between the Continuity Waves and formation of the single “New Earth”, the origins of the two Supermen and Prime melded and now, for the most part, they share a similar timeline.

'Melded... and share a similiar timeline'? So what, Superman-Prime is maybe now retconned as a version of Kal-El from the past, when he was Superboy? Kal-L is now instead retconned as an older version of Superman from the future? BAFFLING.  :shock:

So in other words, we need to differentiate Superboy-Prime's POST-Infinite-Crisis origin from his PRE-Infinite-Crisis origin.

As if things weren't confusing enough.

Sounds to me like they really didn't bother to know what his real origin was and then tried to do spin-control after the fact.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2006, 12:05:39 AM »

I think so too.  DC has a habit of coming up with convoluted explanations for writers just forgetting things.  

The ending was anti-climatic.  Hardly seemed worth the effort.

Kal's Pal
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2006, 12:07:18 AM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"
Quote from: "Kal's Pal"
Sounds to me like they really didn't bother to know what his real origin was and then tried to do spin-control after the fact.

S!

What amazes me is DC never tried to bring out any published graphic novel with Superboy-Prime's pre-Crisis adventures, as few and far-between as they are. I mean sure, he's a loved Maggin creation over on this site, but there's no denying his obscurity in the DC pantheon and to the casual fan. Would have been nice to brought them up to speed, and been a nice compliment to the Infinite Crisis Secret Files one-shot if that hasn't been collected already, (then again, that one-shot did show SP arriving on Earth-Prime in a rocket when he was actually teleported, but I just chalked that recent version up to Alexander further mainipulating SP to make him believe he could have been Superman). But it's a missed chance, like many things in the storyline itself.

But I just can't believe the brutal end for these characters (not to mention the Earth-2 Diana Prince's literal fade into obscurity in a few panels of #5) from the original Crisis, especially after the promise of those beautifully executed endings of #1 and #2.  I thought the principal theme of the story was to provide a counter-point to the violent incidents of heroism since before the original Crisis. Just particularly since #4, it seemed a bit all over the place.

Kal's Pal
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2006, 12:08:56 AM »

And the all-important question... is the multiverse back? Johns and Dido said after IC, it would not be the multiverse "as you know it." So is my theory right... did Alexander's actions result in kick-starting a new multiverse? After being teased throughout this mini, with the return (and ruining) of these old characters, and the appearance of the past and new multiple earths, I'm caring less and less.

ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2006, 03:01:00 AM »

DC has repeated their mistake from COIE.

The Matrix Supergirl has been said that she hasn't existed and has never existed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L