superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:41:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Infinite Crisis #7 Why?!  (Read 39689 times)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2006, 03:47:46 AM »

That really is the tragedy of this whole thing...

I didn't know what "Crisis" was until I was an adult and one of my college roommates had it. I grew up reading pre-Crisis Superman and Superboy stories that I bought regularly from a flea market, as well "post-Crisis" stories such as Impulse,  the 90s Justice League, etc.

And while I feel like going "Ha! Your life has been wasted!" to all the 30-something fanboys who try to correct me, speaking of "post-Crisis Superman" and his "power levels," it really is sad, because a lot of good potential has been lost.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2006, 03:54:14 AM »

Quote from: "Kal's Pal"
And the all-important question... is the multiverse back? Johns and Dido said after IC, it would not be the multiverse "as you know it." So is my theory right... did Alexander's actions result in kick-starting a new multiverse? After being teased throughout this mini, with the return (and ruining) of these old characters, and the appearance of the past and new multiple earths, I'm caring less and less.

From the "Crisis Counseling" article:
>>Q: Geoff Johns said from the start that the purpose of IC was not a big continuity fix for the DCU, but that it would address and fix certain issues. Can you now tell about those continuity issues/fixes and why it was decided upon to change it up now?

DD: We have gone to great lengths to drive one, single cohesive universe. This is our way to acknowledge the past, reconcile its differences, and put the incongruities behind us for good. Now, our primary goal is to maintain a one true continuity for the DC Universe. And while Prime might be on his way to become the greatest villain in the DCU, he’s my hero for helping clear up our convoluted history .

<<

and

>>Q: What exactly is your interpretation of how the Earths were merged at the end of CoIE? Do you see it as elements only from the five Earths that were saved merged together, elements from every one of the infinite Earths merged together, the one true Earth that had been broken into multiple Earths being reassembled again, or something entirely different?

DD: What I see is a single world with endless possibilities with a history built on the greatest stories ever told.
<<

In other words, looks like the 847-bazillion-heroes-sharing-one-Earth set up continues... meh...

Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2006, 04:39:13 AM »

Quote from: "Kal's Pal"
What amazes me is DC never tried to bring out any published graphic novel with Superboy-Prime's pre-Crisis adventures, as few and far-between as they are.

I can't know for certain, but my guess is that they didn't publish such a GN because then they would have had to pay Maggin royalties.  So instead they completely ignored the SBP adventures.  Which is pretty silly - because without those 2 or 3 SBP stories, the character is completely meaningless!

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2006, 01:06:59 PM »

Wait a minute.  Superboy-Prime changed continuity by banging on a wall?  And part of the continuity that was altered was his origin?  So Superboy changed his own history by banging on the wall?  :roll:

If in fact Superboy's past was altered, then why would his motivations remain?  If he was adopted by different people, how could he mourn the parents and Earth-Prime we saw pre-COIE?  The older version of SBP seemed well-adjusted and sane, this one is neither.  Is that because the "yuppie" parents were good and the "farmer" parents not so good?  Or because the end of Earth-Prime now occured in a more upsetting way than it did before?  Does his "new" origin account for his madness?  But if it does, how can it when he started banging on the wall before he "got" the new origin?

Seven issues, multiple tie-ins, lead-ins and spin-offs later, the message of IC to collectors is clear (if not very original):  A fool and his money are soon parted.  Poor fanboys.  Hardly seems worth those double shifts at Taco Bell just to collect this farce.

This looks like a job for...
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2006, 02:24:10 PM »

Quote from: "nightwing"
Wait a minute.  Superboy-Prime changed continuity by banging on a wall?  And part of the continuity that was altered was his origin?  So Superboy changed his own history by banging on the wall?  :roll:

If in fact Superboy's past was altered, then why would his motivations remain?  If he was adopted by different people, how could he mourn the parents and Earth-Prime we saw pre-COIE?  The older version of SBP seemed well-adjusted and sane, this one is neither.  Is that because the "yuppie" parents were good and the "farmer" parents not so good?  Or because the end of Earth-Prime now occured in a more upsetting way than it did before?  Does his "new" origin account for his madness?  But if it does, how can it when he started banging on the wall before he "got" the new origin?

Seven issues, multiple tie-ins, lead-ins and spin-offs later, the message of IC to collectors is clear (if not very original):  A fool and his money are soon parted.  Poor fanboys.  Hardly seems worth those double shifts at Taco Bell just to collect this farce.

IC was a waste of money and time. DC expects us to buy 52 to find out what happens next?! Sorry, as for me, I am canceling all current DC titles. I'll purchase the occasional one shot (i.e. Jeff Smith's Captain Marvel), archive, or back issue. Otherwise, I am done.

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2006, 04:15:50 PM »

Quote from: "Invader ZIM"

IC was a waste of money and time. DC expects us to buy 52 to find out what happens next?! Sorry, as for me, I am canceling all current DC titles. I'll purchase the occasional one shot (i.e. Jeff Smith's Captain Marvel), archive, or back issue. Otherwise, I am done.

Can I convince you to head over to Heroic Publishing and try Flare out?

Smiley

Issue 33 had a supervillian shark, squidoids, invading space-gorrilia, and dinosuars in the main feature. and the back up stoy with Sparkplug was well written too.

Infinite Crisis 7 has conivinced me to treasure Heroic Publishing, since Heroic gets it when it comes to super-heroes for the most part..  There are a flew clunkers, but still....

Infinite Crisis was not mature.

Sparkplug is a mature character.  Her original mini-series just was not written correctly.  But then, trying to write a super-heroine who is also a pro-Nazi is a big task.  The message that Heroic wanted to get across is that everone is a prisoner of their own perceptions.
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2006, 04:25:53 PM »

Quote from: "nightwing"

I don't know if the crystals in the Paradise Dimension protrayed ONLY real events, or were sometimes shaped by the viewer's thoughts.  This could be a case where observation indeed affects the observed phenomena.  

Also, one poster on the DC Message Boards recalled an earlier multi-Earth Crisis involving Earth-Prime DC Comics staff Cary Bates and Elliot S! Maggin.  Once on Earth-1 and Earth-2, these "normal" Earth-Prime residents could affect REALITY.  Perhaps they were already "attuned" to Earth-1 and Earth-2 due to their profession, or maybe they possessed sufficient imagination to actually manipulate the other DC Earths.

So perhaps Superboy-Prime unknowingly possesses the most incredible power of all -- the manipulation of reality.  When Prime struck the crystal wall to retrieve images of his idealized past again (almost ike whacking a TV set to get better reception), he inadvertantly CHANGED what he was viewing.  Not even Kal-L could do this -- note there were no alternate images when he pounded his way through the crystal wall, and neither did Lois experience ill effects.  But neither Prime or Alex truly understood what was happening.  Otherwise, they could have accomplished their goals by selectively "rapping" on the crystals until the desired result was jarred into existence, and only Lois would feel it.

As for changing his own background, remember that Superboy-Prime never learned about his true past on Krypton-Prime.  This was VERY different in several aspects -- Krypton was doomed by the sun going supernova, Prime was transported to Earth, rather than via rocket ship, etc.  But Superboy-Prime would naturally assume his history fully paralleled Earth-1 and to an extent Earth-2.  So he HAD to arrive by rocket, and the Kents HAD to own a farm, even though the true facts deemed otherwise.  If you examine Prime's other memories, you'll see other glaring inconsistencies with the account in DC Comics Presents #87 -- they weren't on the beach to see Halley's Comet, Laurie didn't kiss him just prior to his superpowers manifesting, etc.  But that's how Prime WANTS it to be, and in recreating his own past to reflect his skewed perspective, Superboy-Prime became far different than the kid in DCCP #87.  That's why he can't find HIS Earth-Prime -- it actually never existed in Pre-Crisis history the way he "remembered" it.  But if Prime ever realizes this, and imagines strongly enough...  :shock:

I'm admittedly still in post-Infinite Crisis denial, but I'd like to believe that the REAL Superboy-Prime is still somewhere in a temporal vortex, waiting for Superman to rescue him so they can fight the Anti-Monitor.  The Superboy-Prime that appeared since Crisis #10 and we ASSUMED was the same one was really a temporal "clone" created by the Time Trapper before he decided to create an entire Pocket Universe...

At least, that's what I want to believe.  Anyone got a crystal wall I can "bounce" this idea off?   Sad

DTO
Superman of America
Superman Family

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2006, 08:48:59 PM »

I know this won't be the popular opinion but I agree with most of the changes to Alexander & SBP. Both of them were trapped for years in a pocket dimension for years cut off from the contact of otheres. Yes, Superman 2 & Lois Kent were also there but the age gap was too big. Instead of a closed off prison the foursome should've travelled the universe or at least different dimensions. Alexander & Prime would've had experiences and been allowed to grow up. I don't like the changes to Prime's origin; I like that he was the only Clark Kent not raised on the farm but rather the big city.

Superman of America: America's No.1 Sunshine Superman!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L