superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:20:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: superpants  (Read 9008 times)
King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 07:59:40 AM »

Quote from: "Doug Barr"
Why the heck is Super-Man wearing a speedo in the new movie?  Is this why Tom Welling is hesitant to put on a Supersuit these days?

Considering Dean Cain wore a Speedo on Lois & Clark[/quote] and some comic book artists have drawn the trunks like that (Lee Bermejo being an obvious example, since the movie costume bears the marks of his recent Superman costume design for Lex Luthor: Man of Steel), I fail to see how this can even be a legitimate point of complaint.

And since Welling didn't want to play Superman even before Superman Returns was a blink in anyone's eye, I have no idea why you're so convinced Routh's suit is the reason he's not playing the part.

'Brokeback Metropolis'?I mean I am absolutely no Homophobe, my brother is gay & the greatest guy in the world. But c'mon Superman? I just hope Brian Singer keeps his fantasies out of the movie.

Thanks for the bigoted hate speech based on absolutely nothing. We really needed to hear that.  :roll:

I really wish they could have gotten Sam Raimi, he is so good, both his comedy/horror stuff & his "Spider-man", Probably the best super hero films since  "SuperMan 1"(OK "X-Men" is fair, but it does not have the drama or excitement of the 'Spider-man' films, not even close).

Typical fanboy close-mindedness. Always go for someone who's already done a comic book movie, usually someone who isn't anywhere near as good as advertised. I am beyond sick of seeing Raimi, Nolan, and others of their ilk propped up as alternative directors. Is it REALLY that hard to think out of the box?

Even The guy who did the 1st "Batman" with Jack Nicholson might have been good too.

All right, now I KNOW you have no idea what you're talking about. Tim Burton wanted to change everything about Superman except the name. Is that really what you want?

I don't know, we'll see. Something about that suit though, ( & the actor) gives me the shudders , like when Bart Simpson has to wash his aunt Selmas feet. uuuuuhhh.

You just hate Routh because he's not Welling. You've made that clear before.

As for the costume, if you think a suit design that pulls elements from all over Superman's history is more offensive that Burton's translucent "see my guts" design or Borg-looking rubber suits, I have to question your qualifications for what is and isn't proper.

I am hearing other people saying similar things about it too lately. & Lois Lane a single Mom?? Clark kent wasnt even good enough for her, let alone anyone else in the world but Superman!

She cheated on Clark with Jeb Friedman in the comics, and spent the better part of a decade being an abusive wife to him. Lois as a single mom is nowhere near that bad.

I know what your gonna say, "superman left earth, she had to"  I dont like the premise.

Lois started fooling around with Jeb right after Clark got BURIED in the comics. She didn't even wait before taking up with another man, and a scummy one at that. And she kept seeing him after Clark came back and dumped Clark for him, and then blamed Clark for his death. Again, Lois as a single mom is NOTHING compared to that.

She'd have NEVER lost faith that Superman would come back to her in the comic, & shed have waited till she was 99! & he DOES come back!

I'll take "I don't know what I'm talking about" for $500, Alex.

She didn't wait for him in the comics. She didn't even take a period of mourning. She hooked up with another man almost immediately, and a rather repellant character at that. Lois as a single mom doesn't even begin to reach that level of repulsiveness.

Honestly, I'd like to see what Brad Bird would do with the whole 'Superman' mythos at pixar.

First you want Raimi. Then you champion Burton (who wanted to destroy the character). Now you want Pixar.

Make up your mind.

As soon as you see real people wear these costumes we are used to seeing in the comics it becomes apparent how odd it would be in real life.

Not if the designers and filmmakers know what they're doing.

"Smallvilles" approach is the most realistic one, in my opinion.

Smallville skins Superman's character alive, bathes in his blood, uses his flesh for a chew toy and uses his innards for party streamers. No thanks. I won't tolerate a Superman without a costume, flying, or a noble characterization.

This is why the finest Superhero films were the Fleschier Bros 'Superman' cartoons. But Pixar could do the same thing, & potentially do it better.

Just what was the point of this rant, anyway? To say "Singer's the antichrist"? I've heard some ridiculous and fact-devoid attacks on Returns, but this is easily the worst yet.

My first novella, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2006, 09:10:29 AM »

Actually, Jack Larson (the actor who played Jimmy) is gay, not Jimmy (barring some future Silver Age-esque Jimmy-transformation storyline coming about...).

I'm not sure, but I seem to remember that Mark McClure, who played Jimmy in the films, is gay too; it's supposed to be a reason for DC pulling an AIDS awareness comic book that was supposed to feature Jimmy Olsen. If it's not true, it's a good story.

As for the costume, I don't think it's supposed to be homoerotic in any way, but I do think the low-cut trunks look sort of silly. Are they supposed to remind us of hipsters or something? The kids seem to be wearing their trousers low these days. Maybe it's a fashion thing.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2006, 05:05:18 PM »

Everything can be seen as homoerotic if you want to see at it that way, but normally that speaks more about the person than the thing in question.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Doug Barr
Supermen of America

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2006, 05:22:19 PM »

That was a nobel effort Permanus, I too notice that kids have been wearing way too baggy pants that slip down. BUT THEY AINT WEARIN' SPEEDOS! Thats a speedo hes wearin' by the way.And  another thing I didnt even mention, did you get a load of the size of the symbol on his chest??? Its about the size of a Suzanne B Anthony Dollar. There is an 'S' on it, but the S on THAT little merit badge can't stand for 'Superman'. No, that 'S' could only stand for something else, rymes with hissy. A 'Superman' 'S' goes from armpit to armpit, & down to the solar-plexus.
               King Krypton, you are so right, I have made my feelings regarding 'Smallville' clear before, its getting old, isnt it?  But did you catch the season finale??  I mean, it was AWESOME! I dont know how I'm gonna wait the 5 months or whatever it is to find how it resolves.I really dont get how someone who loves 'Superman' can hate the show.All the elements that have made Superman so great for 70 years are there. Sure, updated for modern viewers, but that is what it takes to keep a character going, it must 're-invent'(I hate that term) itself. Some of you guys dont remember, but there was a day when readers of the comic were up in arms about how ridiculous the strip was getting with all the stories involving Krypton & Supermans obsession with his roots, (probably very early 60s). Now many believe that to be one of the best periods there ever was (me included).It could be that 'Smallville' will be remembered in a similar way, ( it will be by me).
       take care guys, I really dont wish to offend. We all here dig the comic, we have more in common with each other than we have differences. & King, I hope the film is everything you hope it will be. I may knock it, but I tell you what, I will be waitin in line to see it, I am excited about it.Its fear thats eatin' at me, I am scared that I wont like the actor who plays him  (for me, so many of todays young stars seem so un charismatic,in a word: shallow. I am afraid he will follow suit) but hey, they COULD have put Nick Cage in there - now how ridiculous would THAT have been? The man cant even stand in an upright position. He could play Bizarro maybe, but I doubt even that.

"IT TICKLES"
Sword of Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 12:46:45 AM »

Speedo? :shock: I don't give a darn about the speedo,all i want to do is seeing this movie because it would be amazing!! S!  S!  S!

"Since we didn't want to use our science on your world, Shayera and I decided we would fight Earth-crime with Earth-weapons. She always found it amusing that I felt so comfortable with them" - Katar Hol
Sword of Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 12:47:36 AM »

Anyway above all of this sexual theories over Superman superpants,the truth is that they want to give on the screen the feeling that is suit was made from a fabric
arrived from another planet. S!  S!  S!

"Since we didn't want to use our science on your world, Shayera and I decided we would fight Earth-crime with Earth-weapons. She always found it amusing that I felt so comfortable with them" - Katar Hol
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L