superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE AUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:31:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The DAY of the SUPER-COMET!"  (Read 10455 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: May 06, 2006, 06:01:18 AM »

Folks have been asking for this one for a long time:

"The DAY of the SUPER-COMET!"

See? Wasn't the Iron Age fun?

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 06:08:08 AM »

I have that issue, it's one of the greatest Superman comics of the 90's if not the best.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 06:13:32 AM »

You sure you're not getting it confused with this one?  I always thought it was the best of the 1990s.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 06:37:07 AM »

That was just as great as well. Only the 3rd part didn't fully work due to the ending that was too depressing.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 06:45:24 AM »

Yeah, I've been trying to figure out if there's any way to fix the third part (like I attempted with the third part of the Bogdanove story) but I can't see any solution.  There are too many unresolved plot threads and too much of the bad stuff at the end.  I guess I'll have to treat the first two issues as stand-alones.  Unfortunate, because the hat sequence in part 3 is pretty good.

S!

dto
Action Ace

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 08:23:21 AM »

Of course there stories might be considered the "best of the 90s" Superman adventures by members of this forum since they were deliberately written in a "Silver Age" style.  (Nothing wrong with that, of course!)   :wink:   Too bad they were all revealed as Dominus dreams.   :cry:

And is the third story you mentioned the one with the future Klar and his sister Kara (looking VERY "retro" in the "mod" miniskirt, hipboots and long gloves costume that the Earth-1 Supergirl wore back in the Seventies)?

DTO
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 05:11:44 PM »

Quote from: "dto"
And is the third story you mentioned the one with the future Klar and his sister Kara (looking VERY "retro" in the "mod" miniskirt, hipboots and long gloves costume that the Earth-1 Supergirl wore back in the Seventies)?

I believe that Beppo and I were discussing the third Karl Kesel issue - at least, I know that I was.  I don't know for certain, but it sounds like you're describing one of the three Jurgens issues.  As usual with him, the concept can sound good, but the execution is completely dunderheaded.

My ratings at the time were:

The three Bogdanove issues: pretty good
The three Karl Kesel isses: pretty good
The three Jurgens issues: unreadable garbage
The three Immonen issues: unreadable garbage

And then the Dominus stuff came into play in each of the final three - that part should all just be ignored.

S!

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 05:38:31 PM »

well, you can pull a supreme * and just put in an out of place THE END before that whole Dominus crap and not put that part on-line.

* In the 2nd Supreme collection, the story was suppose keep going for a few more issues, but you know who being you know who didn't bother to try and finish it even though Alan Moore had written the issues ages ago.

That was why the ending came out of nowhere, because less talented people couldn't get their acts together, which like some have said, almost fits since that is what happen to Superman. :?

- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L