superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:34:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: a thought on SBP  (Read 10509 times)
Just a fan
Superman Family

« on: May 09, 2006, 01:59:00 PM »

Has anyone given thought that this SBP might not be a true Kal-El? in his orgin story (Year of the Comet) he was un affected by the red sun field, Didn't come into his powers until his teen years, not even a slow build up like the post crisis Superman, Just one second he doesn't have them and the next he does. His punches agianst the wall seemed to spawn new time lines, Kal_l's didn't. He was intend on destrying OA and din't seem to care about throwing planets out of orbit (the Rann/Thangar war) I propose the from the start SBP was actually the enity that took over Hal Jorden (notice in the year of the comet he even mentions wanting to be like him.) Or even a part of the Anti-Monitor hence his comment hat he had been in tougher spots then this and gotten out.  Just a point to ponder, doubtful that DC had all this planned out 20 years ago but at least it would let us believe that the goodnes of the EL family stays intact.

No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a child
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 02:43:00 PM »

The goodness of the El family IS still intact...

all you have to do is simply ignore Infinite Crisis  Smiley

That's what I intend to do. Welcome to the forum.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

dto
Action Ace

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 03:45:42 PM »

Right now, I'm deperately clinging to the belief that the Superboy-Prime we saw in "DC Comics Presents #87" is still "somewhere" in a cosmic vortex, and the one who appeared in "Crisis on Infinite Earths #10" and "Infinite Crisis" was a temporal clone (like the Batch SW6 Legionnaires) inserted as a "mole" by the Time Trapper.  At least, that's how I'm dealing with "Infinite Crisis Denial"...   Sad

In his "DC Comics Presents" debut, Superboy-Prime was definitely a Kal-El, but his Krypton-Prime was slightly different, more modeled after the movie version than the Earth-1 and Earth-2 versions.  Also, he was sent to Earth-Prime via transportation beam in the middle of intense red solar flare activity right before the sun went supernova and engulfed Krypton-Prime.  So some of Superboy-Prime's "quirks" might be explained to minute genetic variations in Earth-Prime Kryptonians, a slight "scrambling" of genes in that transporter beam, or the cosmic side-effects of the Crisis.  Personally, I considered Superboy-Prime "in-between" the Pre-Crisis Earth-1 and Post-Crisis Byrne Supermen -- having power levels closer to the earlier version, but with the Man of Steel's "storage battery" that could keep Superboy-Prime going under red sun conditions.

There's also another overlooked ability apparently possessed by inhabitants of Earth-Prime.  Recall that in an earlier Crisis involving Earth-Prime's DC Comics staffers Cary Bates and Elliot S! Maggin, it was discovered that these writers could actually manipulate Reality on Earth-1 and Earth-2!  Perhaps sufficient Imagination (or awareness of "The Fourth Wall") was necessary to accomplish this feat -- Ultraa never did anything like this after moving to Earth-1 -- but Superboy-Prime read comic books, and he also has super-willpower.  So when he saw images he didn't like in those crystals, Superboy-Prime literally "banged the television set" until the reception cleared to his liking.  That's why Lois felt Superboy-Prime's blows, and not Kal-L's when he broke through, and why the Earth-2 Kal-L did not change Reality when doing so.

But Superboy-Prime's biography in "Infinite Crisis Secret Files" says that he arrived on Earth-Prime in a ROCKET SHIP and was raised on the Kent FARM.  Huh?  Obviously since Superboy-Prime never learned about his true history, he assumed it was like the Supermen he read about.  There HAD to be a rocket ship and a farm!  And so there was -- Superboy-Prime inadvertantly changed his own past, based on lack of information and romantic boyish dreamings (he claims that his superpowers kicked in right after Laurie Lemon kissed him, somewhat like a Warner Brothers cartoon character going off like a skyrocket after a smooch).  So the monster in "Infinite Crisis" was no longer the same kid seen in "DC Comics Presents #87" -- he was literally a "self-made Superman".  And who knows what this tampering with his own identity meant for his mental stability?

As for the basic "goodness of the El Family", I hold that everyone should be equally capable of good or evil.  It is his struggle to remain good at all times and uphold the values taught by his adoptive parents (despite the corrupting temptations of absolute power) that make Superman interesting, not because he's inherently incorruptible due to some family genetics.  And we've seen other examples of "Els gone wrong" in Imaginary Stories and Pre-Crisis Earth-3.  Knowing that it's only Superman's self-restraint and love of humanity that keeps him from abusing his incredible powers is part of the Superman mystique that draws admiration and respect among his fellow citizens.  If the El Family is basically "good", it's because of their belief system and upbringing, not due to their genetic heritage.  And "Infinite Crisis" might show what happens when an El grows up without such mentoring -- old Kal-L was shown as a complete failure as a "father figure", and the results were catastrophic.

"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society."  Theodore Roosevelt

DTO
pre crisies guy
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 07:18:37 PM »

Also this SBP was not affected by magic, isn't that one of the big ones for krytonians?
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 09:28:31 PM »

Quote from: "pre crisies guy"
Also this SBP was not affected by magic, isn't that one of the big ones for krytonians?

No, it was a big one for every living being in that universe, not just krytonians. However, SBP was from Earth-Prime, which was based on reality aka no magic, thus it doesn't effect him.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 01:02:44 AM »

I have another solution to all of this:

DC Comics just screwed up.  Combine that with the fact that they don't really care about the fans who read Superboy Prime's debut in DC Comics presents, and you have the reason why they made him so totally evil.

Vad Varo
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 04:44:36 AM »

Quote from: "DoctorZero"
I have another solution to all of this:

DC Comics just screwed up.  Combine that with the fact that they don't really care about the fans who read Superboy Prime's debut in DC Comics presents, and you have the reason why they made him so totally evil.

That is sadly the most likely truth.

--

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.  It's already tomorrow in Australia." ---- Charles Schultz

"I can remember a time when Return of the Jedi was the worst Star Wars movie." ---- Peter Bors
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2006, 03:36:12 AM »

I always wanted to imagine SBP as being a conterpart to UltraMan, rather than Superman.  That'd help explain why Alex was able to turn him so easily, and why he killed so recklessly.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L