superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:27:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: a thought on SBP  (Read 10492 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2006, 04:41:19 AM »

I'm Chevy Case and
Quote from: "Gernot"
I always wanted to imagine SBP as being a conterpart to UltraMan, rather than Superman.  That'd help explain why Alex was able to turn him so easily, and why he killed so recklessly.

I'd love to see this connection expanded on!  I'm intrigued by the possiblilities it implies....

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 04:44:47 AM »

It would ALSO make it seem a LOT less like DC was trying to trash Superman's name, wouldn't it?  Wink

Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2006, 04:46:09 AM »

Quote from: "Vad Varo"
Quote from: "DoctorZero"
I have another solution to all of this:

DC Comics just screwed up.  Combine that with the fact that they don't really care about the fans who read Superboy Prime's debut in DC Comics presents, and you have the reason why they made him so totally evil.

That is sadly the most likely truth.

dto makes a valid argument for IC Superboy Prime's continuity errors and character flaws.

unfortunately occam's razor all the way on this one

sort of sad, really

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 06:02:35 AM »

Quote from: "Gernot"
It would ALSO make it seem a LOT less like DC was trying to trash Superman's name, wouldn't it?  Wink

Yeah, despite recent gains, we still have a ways to go.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 03:12:56 PM »

Just as long as we don't take any steps BACKWARDS!  Wink

Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 06:17:21 PM »

Quote from: "dto"
Right now, I'm deperately clinging to the belief that the Superboy-Prime we saw in "DC Comics Presents #87" is still "somewhere" in a cosmic vortex, and the one who appeared in "Crisis on Infinite Earths #10" and "Infinite Crisis" was a temporal clone (like the Batch SW6 Legionnaires) inserted as a "mole" by the Time Trapper.  At least, that's how I'm dealing with "Infinite Crisis Denial"...   Sad

Superboy-Prime lived a good, full life in SUPERMAN: SECRET IDENTITY, having been planted back in that dimension by Alex Luthor before he became nuts.
Defender
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2006, 04:53:38 AM »

Ah, Uncle Mxy, if only. SECRET IDENTITY was Busiek's nod to the Earth-Prime Superboy, not the EPSB himself. It'd be nice to think that he's out there somewhere, happy in the pocket universe created by Alex that contains both Earth-2 and Earth-Prime, maybe even Earth-C and Earth-C-Minus. Wink One can dream.

Dto, your ideas are not only interesting, but frightening as all heck.  If we consider that Earth-Prime is the 'hub' of the multiverse, and that if something is created there it's reflected in the contemporary DCU. . .well, that's a chilling thought. A creative individual could wield metafictional powers there on a level that'd make the Anti-Monitor look like the Turtle.

I can understand why DC did what it did; nothing boosts sales like surprise revelations, and what's more surprising than finding Superman as your bad guy? But this was abomination. Killing Superman-2, the original Superman from the Golden Age, in a death that makes Kirk's last gasp after falling off a darn bridge seem epic by comparison, and having both Superboys either die or go insane. . .it was crass. It's shaken my faith in the editorial hand at DC's rudder. I always assumed that DC would never go the darker route of Marvel, but you know what happens when one tends to assume things. Sad

-Def.

"You will believe a man can fly."
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2006, 01:19:34 PM »

Quote from: "Defender"
Ah, Uncle Mxy, if only. SECRET IDENTITY was Busiek's nod to the Earth-Prime Superboy, not the EPSB himself.

I know, but I can hope, can't I?  Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L