superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonLois & Clark: The Ghost of Superman FutureHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:26:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what destroyed Krypton?  (Read 7026 times)
Doug Barr
Supermen of America

« on: May 13, 2006, 08:38:44 PM »

Does it ever seem to you that the explinations for the destruction of planet Krypton seem a little vauge for the standards of today? Should there be a universally agreed upon reason for its demise?  Maybe its Sun reached the Super-Nova period of a stars lifespan? Or maybe an astroid, similar to the one which many scientists believe was responsible for the extintion of dionasaurs on our planet, collided with Krypton. If this were the case then wouldnt the council which Jor-EL presented his case to have seen that it were obvious he were correct, & that spaceships needed to be built beginning the very day he made that presentation?
    Well, consider the 1st movie. In it we see that at almost the same time that Jor-EL is making his case to the counsil, he is also putting Zod & his cohorts on trial for something that is equally as vauge as what it is that will destroy Krypton, but it is for a crime that must have been as serious as a crime could be, because the punishment seems more unbearable than the death penalty which they have certainly abandonded. It seems that whatever is destroying Krypton is tied-in to Zods trial, that Zod was somehow responsible for what is destroying Krypton.
      Now the counsill agrees that Zod definately deserves this horrible punishment, but they dont believe that Krypton is doomed. Why? And why is it that Jor-EL CAN see the danger? We are told that Zods crimes were to somehow take-over Krypton, become its ruler. The counsil takes this threat seriously but laughs at Jor-ELs theory that Kryptons days are numbered. Maybe a astroid is heading for collision thru unnatural means, means which were engineered by Zod to blackmail Jor-EL.
        Imagine if our own sun were about to die, to super-nova, & that nothing could change it. It doesnt seem out of the question that someone might TRY to develope a way to at least TRY to find a planet where he/she could survive. & Krypton was far ahead of us  (perhaps by the time we become that advance our sun WILL be close to its death) & the debris left by our sun would eventually find itself orbiting some other star, maybe developing into life supporting planets where the space-craft, whose cargo is in suspended animation, might one day touch down upon.
     Maybe the Earth is the remnant of Kryptons red sun, & Kal-EL was in his space ship, in stasus, for 4 billion +  years, when he finally made his way to a planet which was once his own sun. Maybe this is also perhaps partly responsible for his limitless powers. Maybe this is all a load of Bull****.Maybe one day I will learn to spell counsel.    Hey, chek out the new "All star Superman"  for me its the best comic book in a long time.

"IT TICKLES"
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 11:25:26 PM »

I once had this wild theory that Darkseid blew up the planet in order to thwart the Guardians' breeding plan of an "ultimate GL" from coming to fruition.

Darkseid didn't want to to have to go up against what such a future GLC would be like, so he thought he'd just avoid the problem.  He didn't bother to find out that Jor-El thwarted his plan.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 11:27:53 PM »

That sounds too much like the plot of Dragon Ball Z for my taste.  :oops:

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 11:29:05 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
That sounds too much like the plot of Dragon Ball Z for my taste.  :oops:

Which?  My theory or Doug's?

I never saw Dragon Ball Z...

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 01:58:50 AM »

Funny trying to find a review of the film which isn't filled with spelling and grammer errors was not so easy Wink

here is one that is fair enough and he saw the parallels as well:

http://www.geocities.com/d-patanella/bardock.html

Anyway, this type of story is pretty common in mythology

In Egypt,

Set, one of the most powerful and somehwat evil god (he has a few good traits too) knew that Orisis's son would one day kill him, so he kills Orisis before he can even have a son. Not just kill him for he went EC Comics on him Wink

Orisis's wife Isis finds his um, piece in the river and takes it and empowers in with cosmic powers and becomes pregnant with it. Fearing that Set would kill that baby if he saw it, she places baby named Horus in a basket and sends it down the Nile river. It is found by a loving couple and they adopt it as their own. Isis disguises herself as a human woman and becomes Horus's babysitter. She baths him in magical fire every night to make he more and more powerful (this is where the term Baptism of Fire comes from). Ultimately, Horus gains super powers, however Isis is caught bathing him in fire and is erm well fired for trying "kill" the baby.

Horus leaves his home and goes to an island where he trains hoping that someday he will avenge his father's death at the hands of Set. He leaves the island once his training is complete, while still a teenager, and challenges Set to a fight to the death, Set not knowing that he is Orisis's son, laughs at punk kid and they do battle, and Set is killed. The End.

A passage from the Coffin Texts (passage 148) sums up Horus in his own words:

"I am Horus, the great Falcon upon the ramparts of the house of him of the hidden name. My flight has reached the horizon. I have passed by the gods of Nut. I have gone further than the gods of old. Even the most ancient bird could not equal my very first flight. I have removed my place beyond the powers of Set, the foe of my father Osiris. No other god could do what I have done. I have brought the ways of eternity to the twilight of the morning. I am unique in my flight. My wrath will be turned against the enemy of my father Osiris and I will put him beneath my feet in my name of 'Red Cloak'."

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Doug Barr
Supermen of America

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 04:50:49 AM »

Yes, Super-Monkey, after almost 5,000 years of Mythology, you can find parallels in just about everything. I am honestly not familiar with Dragonball, & I dont think Rao had considered it either, we are all too aware that just about every story out there is known by SOMEONE on this fourm to try to get away with that. Besides, the fun part of reading these stories is letting them "inspire" our own imaginaginations. If you do wish to talk about plagerisim though, lets consider how many times Marvel re-did both "Terminator" & "Alien" in the "X-men" title back in the 1980s. & wasnt Marvels "Spider-man secret wars" pretty much a carbon copy of "Green Lantern corps" & all the similar worlds/dimensions? The fact is, Marvel re-did just about every idea DC came up with, & then had the nerve to brand them "Brand Echhh"!Marvel was in the midst of having Jack Kirby At his absolute peak, but still felt compelled to do that. Completely petty. It was Fantastic Four #25, "Hulk vs Thing", that initally got me into comics. But By constantly refering to their competition as "Brand Echhh" you had to believe their was something special going on over there that Marvel feared, & rightly so. They feared "Superman" & "Green Lantern". If you look back carefully thats where the wealth of inspiration was coming from. Marvel had "Spider-Man", but only as long as Ditko plotted & drew it (4 years) "Spider-man has been living off that 4 years since 1966, amazing! Well I got news, Steve aint coming back, & even if he did (Could) it wouldnt be the same. Marvel has followed the lead of DC since its inception (1939). ONLY ONE TIME did DC concede to Marvel, in 1970 when they got Kirby away from Marvel, & they did that by promising him what he really had always wanted; final controll on his comics - the ability to do his thing. And for maybe 3 years some of the finest comics ever done were done by Kirby at DC!4 titles, all neatly (sometimes not so neatly) tied together.Those were the days my friend!(By the way, didnt Kirby create the whole "Star Wars" franchise then, getting back to plagerisim?what with Orion being the son of 'Darksied', Scott Free too?Kirby should have sued based on the likness between 'Darksied' & 'Darth Vader'!)They were also the end of those times, either because I myself was turning my back on comics for a period, I was 12 & felt, wrongly so, a need to outgrow them. or because comics were going thru transition & wouldnt get back on their feet till 1979, or both of these things - that was probably the case. 1979!, "Superman hit the theaters & Frank Miller began his run on "Daredevil"! What a time. It will happen again, it has to.

"IT TICKLES"
Sword of Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 11:36:25 AM »

Quote from: "Doug Barr"
Marvel had "Spider-Man", but only as long as Ditko plotted & drew it (4 years) "Spider-man has been living off that 4 years since 1966, amazing!

I think that John Romita Sr.could disagree with you :wink:

S!  S!  S!

"Since we didn't want to use our science on your world, Shayera and I decided we would fight Earth-crime with Earth-weapons. She always found it amusing that I felt so comfortable with them" - Katar Hol
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 03:45:32 PM »

I did a little searching on Dragon Ball Z and just had to share this one:

http://images.countingdown.com/images/countdowns/movies/30919/1011/3260132_main.jpg

Was there an actual live-action movie; or is this just an enthusiastic fan?

S!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L