superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE AUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:42:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Page 7 status  (Read 7505 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: May 15, 2006, 05:24:12 AM »

It's been a while since there's been a new K-Metal page and I'd like to explain the delay.

Page 7 is a bit of a unique page.  In Alter Ego #45, Roy Thomas published an illegible and extremely fuzzy thumbnail photo of the original artwork, along with the following explanation:
Quote from: "Roy Thomas in Alter Ego #45"
Another page from the "K-Metal" story!  Charlie Roberts, bless 'im, sent us a copy of this ninth page known to exist (so far) of the 26-page "K-Metal" story that was covered in AE #26 & #37 by Mark Waid and Will Murray.  It's repro'd here from a mediocre photo which is all that Charlie has... but we wanted to document the page, whatever the quality of the reproduction.

In short, page 7 wasn't a non-existent page that could be drawn from scratch; but neither was it a completed page that could be re-finished and colored as is.  Instead it was an unusable collection of smudges.

So Angel painstakingly drew an all-new, full-size page 7 - attempting to decipher and match as much as he could from the extremely blurry and lossy photo.

Once his pencils were finally complete and Bob had just begun to ink them; we received an email from Thomas Andrae:  He very kindly offered to send us a photocopy of the original page seven!  The timing was an incredible coincidence.

Of course we took him up on the offer, and after a few email exchanges, we sat back to wait for the page.  

It just arrived the other day and....

It turns out to be a copy from an art-auction catalog.  Although it is very crisp and legible, it's not quite usable as-is since it's distorted in spots and is missing some details.

We're currently deciding on whether to finish up Angel's pencils; or to attempt a complete reconstruction based on the art-catalog reproduction; or to do some sort of combination.

But whatever we do, it's going to be a bit more time.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 02:44:51 PM »

Was Angel's page close to the auction photocopy?  Just interested...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 04:00:14 PM »

The making of... Page 7 feature should be very interesting Smiley

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 06:56:14 PM »

I haven't seen it - so that's what I'd like to know too.  I worked off the fuzzy one.

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 05:35:35 AM »

Quote from: "MatterEaterLad"
Was Angel's page close to the auction photocopy?

Pretty much.  We may make the thumbnail, Angel's pencils, and the art-catalog reproduction all available in the "behind the scenes" section; but not until after our finished page 7 goes online.

In the meantime, here is one panel from all 3 versions just to give you an idea:

The panel on the left is from the AE 45 thumbnail; the middle panel is shrunk down from Angel's full-size pencils; and the panel on the right is blown-up from the miniature reproduction in the art-catalog.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L