superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:20:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman's newspaper strip of the 1940s- Online  (Read 20691 times)
Continental Op
Superman Family

« on: May 20, 2006, 10:44:08 PM »

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this here before- I couldn't find anything in the Links area of STTA about it but I apologize if this is old news!

You can view many of the episodes from Superman's 1940s newspaper strip online at a wonderful website... several of the sequences are available from start to finish, and there are Sundays there as well. Even the story of Superman rescuing Santa Claus from enslavement by Hitler! No kidding.

http://www.thespeedingbullet.com
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 11:15:47 PM »

Well, its news to me...very cool site!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 11:38:07 PM »

cool, thanks for the heads up!

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 11:58:09 PM »

That's an absolutely incredible find!  Thank you for the heads-up, I'll certainly be adding links to the site.

Anyone have any idea when the story in which Clark revealed his identity to Lois and they got married was published?

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 12:10:33 AM »

Fab site; thanks!

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
binarysunrise
Superman Family

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 01:34:44 PM »

I'm glad you all like my site.  It's really starting to take shape in the past few weeks as I have more time to spend on it these days.  Currently I am working through indexing the daily strips from 1948 to 1950, and there are some really interesting stories (the Ogies come back, for example).  I also have a lead on the rest of the 1943 Sunday strips.

Please let me know if any of you can assist my research with information about the strips or knowledge of other sources to continue the project...

Thanks again,
Jared

The Speeding Bullet
--an archive of Superman newspaper strips--
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 05:43:00 PM »

welcome to the boards and come back often.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
binarysunrise
Superman Family

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 08:43:26 PM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"

Anyone have any idea when the story in which Clark revealed his identity to Lois and they got married was published?
S!

I've heard about this story...and something about how much later it turned out all to be a dream or something?  I am way too young to have read these strips when they came out (I guess I could have read World's Greatest Superheroes...but for some reason I didn't).  These strips are a fascinating read, and this story is just one more example about why attention should be given to them.

Anyways, I have yet to come across it.  I have read a full decade of the dailies (3,000 strips so far), and am now fully into the Wayne Boring era. I would bet it would be sometime in the mid-fifties, but my predictions have been wrong everytime I made a guess about the strips so far Smiley  The stories keep me surprised at every turn...

I'll be sure to let you know if the story appears in the next 18 months that I have yet to read (then it's back to tracking down or begging others for more of the strips).

I'll keep updating the site.
Thanks.

The Speeding Bullet
--an archive of Superman newspaper strips--
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L