superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:38:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Categories  (Read 12654 times)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2006, 07:25:44 PM »

I agree pretty much though I'm not 100% clear on your second point...for sure, I think there should be a discussion before adding a category, why not, it gives folks something to yack about in the Supermanica forum? Cool

Maybe I'm just too personally hung up on time periods (other than the period of the comic being published)...for example, with Luthor, a "scientist" is a "scientist" no matter whether he has adventures in the past, present or future...
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2006, 12:26:27 AM »

Super Monkey, that's a good idea.  Time-Travel.

I think more categories are useful for lumping things together.  If for no other reasn than they help us answer our trivia questions (name all the Super monkeys in the mythos, for example).

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2006, 01:17:27 AM »

Yeah, but then I'm going to want to separate Super prosimians, New World and Old World monkeys (platyrhines and catarhines), and true apes... :lol:
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2006, 02:34:44 AM »

BTW, why a "Cats" category but no dogs, apes, horses, etc.  Isn't "Animals" enough?
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2006, 02:51:35 AM »

Quote from: "MatterEaterLad"
BTW, why a "Cats" category but no dogs, apes, horses, etc.  Isn't "Animals" enough?

I guess not, but perhaps you missed these:

http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Category:Super-Apes

http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Category:Super-Dogs

also

http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Category:Pets

http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Category:Legion_of_Super-Pets

I don't know if pets is needed.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2006, 02:58:23 AM »

Cool

Ah, sub categories, perfect for "Cats" as well...
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2006, 04:36:41 AM »

OK, here's a question about super dogs, should Ace, the Bat-Hound be entered, I can't find a direct tie in to Superman?
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2006, 04:59:09 AM »

Quote from: "MatterEaterLad"
OK, here's a question about super dogs, should Ace, the Bat-Hound be entered, I can't find a direct tie in to Superman?

Of course!!!

World's Finest Comics No. 143, August 1964: "The Feud Between Batman and Superman!"

Reprinted in World's Finest Comics #197 October-November 1970 Giant Size Issue

Character appearances:
Jimmy Olsen; Nightwing and Flamebird, Kandor; Fortress; Than-Ar; Jhan-Ar; Ace the Bathound; Nor-Kan; Nighthound; Metalloids

This was the last appearance of the legendary Ace the Bathound and the only time that Ace appeared with Superman.
This story had it all, here is a review from http://hometown.aol.com/mg4273/superman.htm:

The Feud Between Batman and Superman (World's Finest #143, August 1964). Writer: Edmond Hamilton. Art: Curt Swan. Based on a cover by Curt Swan.

Superman and Jimmy Olsen return to Kandor as Nightwing and Flamebird, this time accompanied by Batman and Robin. Since Batman and Robin were the original models for Nightwing and Flamebird, it makes delightful sense to have them get into the series. The story also allows Batman to see Kandor, apparently for the very first time, and to learn Kryptonese, which he is partly taught by Jimmy Olsen, an old hand at Kandor and the language. Like other Hamilton stories set in Kandor, this one tries to explore Kryptonian traditions. Here Hamilton has flashbacks depicting detective work on old Krypton.

Batman is morose throughout this tale, and the feud that develops between him and Superman is not much fun. However, the treatment of Kryptonian animals here is terrific. Dogs had appeared in both earlier tales in this series. Here they return, in ways that are both logical and surprising. Hamilton has thought deeply about the logical implications of their nature in the earlier stories, and come up with a novel use of them. The Kandorian dogs, their abilities, and one particular animal, Nighthound, are now incorporated in the Superman mythos. Such logical developments are typical of the Superman mythos. It shows a deep internal consistency, with its logical possibilities fully realized. The mythos is always undergoing development, like an unfolding piece of classical music.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L