superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:52:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Calling all radio buffs....  (Read 5980 times)
Richard Grayson
Superman Fan

« on: May 23, 2006, 02:03:55 AM »

Does anybody else like the original Superman radio show? The one from the 40's? You can listen to it at http://oldtimeradio.homeip.net/menu.html . (I think you are going to have to paste this into your browser.) You have to go all the way down to bottom of the page. I recomend you start in 1945 or 1946 since its still a little rough around the edges in the early years. Be prepared for lots and lots and lots of Kellogg's cereal comercials.

My big questian is what happened to the episode called "Mystery of the Wax Men". It ran from 45/02/26 until 45/03/15 and was the very first Batman-Superman team up ever. The recordings don't seem to be around anymore. I hear it was retold in World's Finest Comics #271. Does anybody know what happened?Huh?Huh??

Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 07:46:21 AM »

Oh, my! This website is fantastic! For an unrepentant radio buff like me (I gave my TV set away years ago and haven't looked back), this is like finding El Dorado! Thanks, Mr. Grayson!

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
shazamtd
Superman Family

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 02:24:55 PM »

My big questian is what happened to the episode called "Mystery of the Wax Men". It ran from 45/02/26 until 45/03/15 and was the very first Batman-Superman team up ever. The recordings don't seem to be around anymore. I hear it was retold in World's Finest Comics #271. Does anybody know what happened?Huh?Huh??

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Superman radio show.  I have over 1000 episodes in mp3.  My favorite stories are "Superman vs. Atom Man," "Superman vs. Kryponite," "The Mystery of the Stolen Costume," "The Secret Rocket," and "Batman's Great Mystery."

The answer to your question is:  No one knows.  The episodes have been lost to the ages.

"Is there no one on this planet to even challenge me?!" - General Zod (Superman II)
binarysunrise
Superman Family

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 03:49:09 PM »

Man, in 1996 I was contacted by someone through my website, and the person said they had a slew of master tapes from the radio series, and wondered where to offload them.  I think I replied that I didn't know.  Perhaps I should have followed through on this Sad

The Speeding Bullet
   http://www.thespeedingbullet.com
--an archive of Superman newspaper strips--
Richard Grayson
Superman Fan

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 01:00:52 AM »

in 1996 I was contacted by someone through my website, and the person said they had a slew of master tapes from the radio series, and wondered where to offload them.

Hmm.. Wonder if they would have had any of the stuff I need........Oh well.

I wonder if Mr. Rao would like to put a link on this site to the radio show site. I sure would have liked to have one when I came through here for the first time about three months ago. It took me another month to find that one. Now I have finally broken down and bought the whole set. My folks said I was spending too much time with my ear glued to the computer Smiley  

About the "Mystery of the Wax Men"; if anybody has read that comic book I would enjoy knowing how the story turned out. I'm not going to read it myself since I don't read stuff that modern, but If anybody wants to tell me how it goes I'm all ears. I have two episodes so I know that Superman rescued Robin, and they found a wax dummy that looks just like Batman.

Superman vs Atom Man is a swell story. I have heard most of it but not all of it since it is not all on that website, and I haven't gotten that deep into my Mp3's yet.

Richard Grayson
Superman Fan

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 06:22:32 AM »

What else does everybody like about the show?

I have no love for Dan McCullough, the Kellogg's announcer. How anyone could come on the air while Superman is about to be killed by the Atom Man and start talking about cereal is beyond me. So I was listening one day when Mr. McCullough comes on...he starts talking about cereal....Suddenly somebody comes in with a gun and holds him up on the air! I'm thinking "Yes! Yes! Somebody has had enough of Kellogg's Pep and taken matters into their own hands! They made Mr. McCullough say he was a jerk! Of course it turned out to be a joke but he was pretty embarrassed. That was the best commercial ever!

What's everybody else's favorite story?

I think mine would be either "Batman's Great Mystery or "The Atom Man" serial.

Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 11:38:26 AM »

Oh, bad news, this site seems to be down now. At least it has been for the past few days.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 12:59:01 PM »

Try the Cobalt Club - join up and lookin the swap section.  Domty know what serial theyre currently running nut usual theres a Supes thread for free download

http://testbox.cob.rit.edu/index.php?name=Forums
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L