superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:31:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Man from Krypton  (Read 3247 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« on: May 23, 2006, 06:59:15 AM »

Not just coming but actually here!

Another book I saw in a bookstore last week, The Man from Krypton is an unlicensed/unauthorized collection of essays and articles about Superman, including takes on aspects of the TV shows and our beloved comics mythos.  Many essays originally appeared in literary and popular magazines but I think their is some web stuff too.  Several articles covering the absurdities and interesting/baffling aspects of the mythos which would be right at home on this forum.

Anyway, here's the blurb from Amazon:

Leading writers discuss, debate, and celebrate the legend of Superman in this anthology, contending that his legend is a truly American myth. Superman was an immigrant with little more than the clothes on his back and raised by simple farmers, absorbing their humble values. He always chose to do the right thing, fighting for truth, justice, and the American way, and represents America at its best. The in-depth analyses of the comics, films and cartoons are at turns funny, philosophical, insightful, and personal, exploring every aspect of the Superman legend.

Paperback - 240 pages (May 1, 2006)
Language: English
Benbella Books (Smart Pop series) ; ISBN: 1932100776

Canadian price is $13

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/1932100776/

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 01:04:40 PM »

Thanks for the heads-up, I've been anxious to give this book a look.

I've written a piece for a James Bond-themed book from the same publisher, due out this Fall, and I'm eager to see how these things look in finished form.

One of my favorite books in this vein was "Superman at 50: The Persistence of A Legend," which included articles on such fun topics as Superman as immigrant, as eternal virgin and as ultimate American, and a cool article on the science of super-feats.  (One of the fun bits I remember in the "American" essay was that Americans are defined by their mobility, and Superman can freaking FLY...don't get much more mobile than that!).

The only odd bit was a piece by/on Denny O'Neill as a Superman writer.  Of all the contributors to the mythos, Denny's a strange choice to single out.  Then again, the book kept coming back to Superman's Cleveland roots, so maybe that was Denny's hometown or something. (?)

This looks like a job for...
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 02:39:36 PM »

Any idea who the contributors are? The Amazon description didn't mention any names. I'll probably pick it up in any event.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 04:13:46 PM »

I have a copy of this book and plan to put a page together about it which will have a lot more info, but in the meantime, here's a quick run-down of the contributors:
    Lawrance Watt-Evans
    David Hopkins
    Sarah Zettel
    Chris Roberson
    Larry Niven (yes, a reprint of his infamous essay)
    Keith R. A. DeCandido
    Lou Anders
    Gustav Peebles
    Steven Harper
    Adam-Troy Castro
    Adam Roberts
    John G. Hemry
    Paul Lytle
    Evelyn Vaughn
    Joseph McCabe
    Lou Anders
    Peter B. Lloyd
    Bob Batchelor
    Paul Levinson
    Larry Dixon

All-in-all, the book is a blast, much better than "Superman at Fifty" was.  These essays are all based on the real (ie, pre-1986) DC Superman and the various contributors all seem to know what they are talking about.

Here's the direct STTA bookshop link:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1932100776/theamalgamatronA/

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L