superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonStrange Visitor!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:04:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Early appearance of the Super-Sons...  (Read 5114 times)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« on: May 23, 2006, 03:01:48 PM »

In 1970, I bought this issue of Action comics that featured a story of Superman and Batman and their sons...their wives were typically always seen from behind...

http://www.comics.org/details.lasso?id=23621

I never got the second issue, but the gist here was that Batman Jr. was a prodigy, while Superman Jr. was a klutz, such a klutz that he destroys a robot Superman makes to help teach him and in the process wrecks the fortress...the first issue ends with Superman deciding that his son is too dangerous and putting him in a booth with Gold Kryptonite...

In these stories, Batman is really needling and boastful about his son, Superman Jr. seems to have full powers, and both sons seem younger than the Haney "World's Finest" Super-Sons run...

Are they part of the same continuity?
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 05:10:55 PM »

Also, the story continued in this issue which I didn't buy and I never found out how the Gold Kryptonite "cliffhanger" turned out... Cool

http://www.comics.org/details.lasso?id=23689
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 10:09:27 PM »

Alas, even though this is a thread of only me, it seems that India Ink and Osgood Peabody (I wish those guys would stop by more often) at least suggest that these stories are early if not earliest Super-Son tales, predating the Haney run...

http://superman.nu/dcmb/seventies/?part=4

By the way, the old DCMBs archived here at the bottom of the STTA forum are excellent sources of great discussion on stories and specifics...

But I still don't know yet how the story turned out... :wink:
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 12:15:58 AM »

They post about once every few years, I don't know what happen to those two, I guess they don't care about Superman anymore.

Anyway, I never read the story, so I have no idea what happen or if they were the real super sons we all know and love Smiley or a totally different set of kids.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 01:30:12 AM »

LOL, yeah, its funny but I kind of believe they were the early Super-Sons, especially based on the "faceless" wives...

Actually the story I had was kind of un-settling, I especially didn't like Batman kicking back on Superman's furniture and bragging how skillfull Batman Jr. was, and what a putz Superman Jr. was...in a weird way, this late Weisinger story did differ in that it wasn't the Haney/World's Finest take of the generation gap from the viewpoint of the youth, but rather more like the father's pride or dissappointment in their sons...

I probably liked India Ink's and Continental Op's (and Aldous's too, miss that guy also) posts because I know what I like in comics from the day, and just like to get down to the stories... Cool
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 01:30:23 PM »

MEL, here is a brief synopsis of the conclusion of the story, from Action Comics #392 (September 1970) - Mort Weisinger's last as editor of that comic:

SPOILER ALERT!

After Superman removes his son's superpowers with a piece of Gold Kryptonite, for his repeated bungling, which ended in his reckless destruction of a robot Superman had built to train the boy, he takes him home from the Fortress of Solitude.

At home, Superman, full of self-recrimination, in a bout of depression locks himself in his room.

His (unnamed and unidentified) distraught wife rushes next door to the home of Batman/Bruce Wayne.

Batman bursts into Superman's room, where he explains the full story.

The powerless Superman Jr. goes diving into their swimming pool, only to be rescued by his father, as his son has never swum without his powers before.

The son, bitter and resentful of his father trudges off, comforted by Batman Jr.

Next, Superman Jr. and Batman Jr. take their teenage dates to a dance, where the former is upstaged by the latter, and is humiliatingly dumped by his girlfriend.

The following day, Superman is at a charity workshop, signing Superman dolls made by the blind.

All of a sudden. a secret compartment in a doll springs open, revealing Green Kryptonite to a shocked Superman, who topples over unconcious!

He has been tricked and trapped by a gang of criminals!

Superman Jr. turns up, having been sent by his mother to purchase some dolls as Christmas gifts.

The chief crook hurls the Kryptonite doll at the boy, who also collapses!

The crooks load the pair into the back of a dump truck and head off to the bay, in order to feed them to the fish.

All of a sudden, Junior reaches into the cabin, grabbing the steering wheel, the struggle causing the truck to crash into a tree, and knocking the crooks out.

Superman Jr. has saved his father!

He was only pretending to be overcome by Kryptonite, which being powerless (and the crooks were unaware of this), of course had no effect on him.

After Superman recovers, he flies his son back to the Fortress of Solitude to give him his 14th birthday present.

Both are reduced in size, and enter the bottle city of Kandor, to meet the Science Council.

A member of the Science Council hands them both an object, saying as he does so, "On this, your 14th birthday, it is the custom for you and your father to wear matching bracelets, signifying that you are his son and heir!"

Leaving the bottle, and resuming normal size, father and son are confronted by a multi-headed dragon-type alien creature that has escaped from Superman's Interplanetary Zoo.

Superman is knocked over and hors de combat.

Rushing over to defend his father - even if it costs him his own life - Junior clobbers the monster, much to his amazement!

Somehow he has regained his superpowers!

Superman explains to his son, that during his private consultation with the Science Council, while they were in Kandor, he asked whether there was any way his son could get his powers back.

The Council told him he could, if they both put on "cosmo-kinetic bracelets"
which would transfer all of Superman's superpowers to his son, but the effects would be permanent.

Then, under the pretence cited above, Superman Jr. unwittingly donned his bracelet, as did his father, with the result that Superman gave up all his superpowers for his son, unknown to the latter.

The story ends with Superman Jr. flying his father back home.

I have sometimes wondered whether this two-part "imaginary story" was ever retrospectively considered part of the "Super-Sons" canon.

I seriously doubt it, although I have a sneaking suspicion it may have strongly influenced Bob Haney and editor Murray Boltinoff to produce their "Super-Sons" stories, even though the two-part story from Action Comics #391 & #392 was written by Bob Kanigher, not Haney.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 02:27:30 PM »

Thanks!

Wow, that is a lot of somewhat convoluted story in the second issue...

Its interesting that there are some similarities in the stories, the nameless wives, the generation gap...but in the Action stories, what stood out more was the behavior of the fathers, Batman is kind of a bragging jerk and Superman is a really frustrated guy who seems to act awfully rashly.
Osgood Peabody
Superman Family

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 07:24:36 PM »

Hey guys, it has been a while - I wish I had more time to post, as there's plenty of other Silver Age stories I had in mind to review.   I'll get to it someday I hope.  And I do miss those long threads with India Ink and Aldous...although you can still find India on the DC boards.

As far as the Super-sons go, I think the very first tale of Superman's offspring can be found in last year's imaginary collection - "The Fantastic Story of Superman's Sons" from Superman #166 by the great team of Hamilton, Swan & Klein.

The same team then went on to produce the 2 World's Finest tales about a year later, that deals with both Super- and Bat- offspring, in WF issues 154 and 157.

These tales are not in the same continuity as the later Haney stories, but may have served as inspiration.   In any case, they're well worth seeking out.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L