superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:31:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jimmy Shooter 1976 Interview on Silver Age Legion  (Read 7983 times)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 08:42:24 PM »

Quote from: "Klar Ken T5477"
Same thing's true of Swan but less dynamic.

People say that, and I've never agreed with that...Curt Swan had moments where he was frankly, incredible at expressing motion. Look at ADVENTURE COMICS #367 - the first Dark Circle story - there was a semi-splash page of Brainiac 5, Karate Kid, and Sun Boy being catapulted into the sky that had incredible motion.

But you are right, Curt Swan was a one of a kind genius: just look a few pages later at 30th Century Japan - Kirby's "location" splash pages, like the ones that introduced Wakanda, was never better.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 10:49:49 PM »

I still say Curt's a better storyteller. :twisted:
Russell
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 01:37:46 AM »

Ah, beautiful. I love Shooter... Everything the man touched from his amazing Legion stuff to Secret Wards is hold in my book.

Thanks for the link, Julian.
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 01:43:20 AM »

A little off topic, whatever happened to Jim Shooter? What is he doing now?

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2006, 02:49:46 AM »

Quote from: "Invader ZIM"
A little off topic, whatever happened to Jim Shooter? What is he doing now?

Since August 2000, he is part-owner and creative consultant for the sci-fi firm Phobos Entertainment.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2006, 03:28:06 AM »

I agree that Swan had a gift for expressing emotion facially, especially when paired with a good inker, that has been rarely surpassed in its subtlety and range.

This is the sort of technique that made him a favorite of artists who came up in the otherwise Neal-Adams-dominated-70s.  I'm thinking of someone like Dave Sim, who has referred to Swan as an influence.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2006, 05:37:33 AM »

Quote from: "Russell"
Ah, beautiful. I love Shooter... Everything the man touched from his amazing Legion stuff to Secret Wards is hold in my book.

Thanks for the link, Julian.

Jimmy Shooter had the Midas Touch, that's for sure.

And SECRET WARS is a terrific miniseries. People come down on it because it was a series absolutely meant to sell toys and steal the thunder of CRISIS. While that's true, it was also an incredibly fun, well-written commercial for toys, and if I was Crisis, I wouldn't take having my thunder stolen quite so personally if it was by something like that.

Everybody behaved the way we know them to behave; it was like STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN for Marvel Comics, it had a great warmth, with the Enchantress trying to seduce Thor, Galactus attempting to eat the battleworld, Molecule Man dropping (my God) an ENTIRE MOUNTAIN RANGE on the good guys, Doctor Doom having a secret hidden agenda, Magneto as a conflicted character trying to fit in on the side of the angels. It was a nice touch to have the X-Men separate, "segregated," if you will, from the other heroes. The reason they gave though, was because of their taking in of the supposedly reformed Magneto, because the hip, cool and progressive Marvel heroes would never be racists.

Who said that SECRET WARS had zero lasting repercussions? The distrust of the X-Men by other heroes was a plot point all through the eighties, culminating in the wonderful Roger Stern X-MEN/AVENGERS battle.

Jim Shooter used the fact that some of these characters had never seen each other before. To the best of my knowledge for instance, I don't think that the Wasp and the Lizard had ever been in the same comic, and look at the story he told there, where the Wasp saved an injured Lizard and nursed him to health; there was the Wasp, all sweet, and the Lizard, talking about his hatred of all humans. In the end of course, the Lizard saves the Wasp in return.

There was an interview with Shooter on Newsarama, that I'll have to remember to post sometime, where he gave a few interesting details:

1) The reason Shooter wrote SECRET WARS was because writer ego-feuds (notably between Claremont and Byrne, which resulted in Byrne establishing that a Doctor Doom that Claremont used had been a robot) had gotten so out of control at that point that as Editor in Chief he was the only one beyond reproach by others.

2) The 1970s STAR WARS comic had been a really, really big deal. It was the best-selling comic for years, and Shooter says it "saved" Marvel nearly singlehandedly from bankruptcy. Strange to think of it today, but STAR WARS apparently was a big deal in the 1970s: both Roy Thomas and Chris Claremont were on that book, with Roy Thomas leaving because the Lucasfilm "guidelines" were unbelieveably stringent.

And last but certainly not least...

3) Jim Shooter has in him one more Legion story. Nobody will allow him to write it, though!

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L