superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:59:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Calling all Superboy Fans!  (Read 27665 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2006, 02:47:24 PM »

Quote from: "Johnny Nevada"
Thanks, all...

Few more questions:

-  Is there any distinction made in entries between Golden Age/Earth-2 and Silver Age/Earth-1 versions of characters/events? On Wikipedia, I'd usually make seperate sections for Golden Age, Silver Age, and Modern Age versions of characters and places like Lois Lane or the Daily Planet, with appropriate info under each section (though mostly since there was a lack of pre-Crisis info on said versions of characters/events).

no, not within the entry itself, but the entries should go in the proper category http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Category:Golden_Age_%281938-1955%29

Here are some examples:

Pure Golden Age: http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Minerva_Kent

Pure Sliver Age: http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Hyper-Man

Pure Bronze Age: http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Terra-Man

Entries that are two ages or more:

Golden and Sliver (and bronze but that part hasn't been added as of yet)

http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Hercules

Sliver and Bronze

http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Amalak

Am I allowed to upload scanned-in pictures? Have tried to scan in some comic panels and upload them to Wikipedia, only to see some people delete/replace them for petty reasons...

yes you can, just please keep the file sizes as small as you can, so that the images load quickly and we don't kill the server with big images.

That should always be under 100kb for larger ones and you should aim at 50kb or less.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2006, 05:34:46 PM »

BTW,

The Superboy entry is coming along great, keep it up everyone!

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2006, 10:47:42 PM »

Quote from: "Johnny Nevada"

-  Is there any distinction made in entries between Golden Age/Earth-2 and Silver Age/Earth-1 versions of characters/events?

If you can prove that certain Golden Age events took place on Earth-2, I would be interested in reading the article.  There are certain entries that are based on clearly identified Earth-2 adventures (usually published in Bronze Age).

- Am I allowed to upload scanned-in pictures? Have tried to scan in some comic panels and upload them to Wikipedia, only to see some people delete/replace them for petty reasons...

Scan away!

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2006, 02:58:24 AM »

I'm having a problem with the "Discrepancies in early accounts" part of the Superboy entry. I moved it to the bottom because I thought it was from the Great Superman Book; however, I've looked through the Superman entry in TGSB and have been unable to find it.

If it is from TGSB, I want to preserve that section. If not, it is factually incorrect in light of More Fun Comics 101-107, and I need to do something with it or change it somehow.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2006, 03:46:00 AM »

It seems to rely on the original telling and the 1948 origin story for the most part...so, I'm not sure what you mean by "factually incorrect", but further discrepencies shown from the More Fun origin should be there too...

Superboy is a tough entry, even more than the discrepencies of Superman, because along with a long history, he was always on the way to transitioning to someone else...
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2006, 11:01:45 PM »

Quote from: "Gangbuster Thorul"
I'm having a problem with the "Discrepancies in early accounts" part of the Superboy entry. I moved it to the bottom because I thought it was from the Great Superman Book; however, I've looked through the Superman entry in TGSB and have been unable to find it.

If it is from TGSB, I want to preserve that section. If not, it is factually incorrect in light of More Fun Comics 101-107, and I need to do something with it or change it somehow.

I think I added that section, taken mostly from Superman: The Man Himself in TGSB.  Can't remember if it is a direct transcription or if Superboy references were added.  I don't think it is incorrect (in the sense that it refers to the various retcons and issues in which Superman/boy learns of his origins and to the times Superman's origins were rehashed,excluding any mention of Superboy) but room should be made for references to the More Fun and early Superboy title stories for sure.  And I think it looks better near the top of the entry, near the earliest adventures.

Rao has mentioned that Superboy could be a separate entity from Superman, based on the earliest accounts of both.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2006, 12:13:56 AM »

I actually think the Superboy entry will be a little less complicated than the Superman entry, since it avoids the Earth-2 problem. My knowledge must increase to finish it, though. I dine on Legion archives tonight!

Telle, I revised the 'discrepancies' entry earlier today. Let me know what you think. And SM, you are a victim of being caught between edits...you did some stuff before I clicked 'submit' on my last edit, so you'll probably have to go through and add it again. Sorry.

-"Superman", 1960

Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2006, 04:39:40 AM »

I have apparently made some people very angry, and I'm not quite sure how. But I'd like to address a couple of things:

First of all, the accusation that I erased things from The Great Superman Book. This is untrue; TGSB says "see Superman" for the Superboy entry. I looked over the Superman entry to make sure that I wasn't erasing anything from it, and posted here for a second opinion. Then, I didn't erase any existing material anyway, merely moved things to the appropriate sections.

Second, the assertion that I think Superman: The Secret Years makes other accounts of Superman's college years "unfactual." I do not; however, besides the one panel in "The Story of Superman's Life," there are a grand total of six comics that deal with Superman/boy's college years. One is "Clark Kent's College Days," one is the Lori Lemaris story, and the other four are Superman: The Secret Years. Sorry if the material seems weighted toward the majority of them.

Goodnight.

-"Superman", 1960

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L