superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:07:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Calling all Superboy Fans!  (Read 27666 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: May 28, 2006, 04:58:42 PM »

The Superboy entry is quite franky...pretty lame. It had lots of potential, but it now reads like a list of facts with very little infomation given to them. As an essay, it would get a D, if you were lucky. Just compare that to Superman's Entry or most any other hero's entry.

Come on this is SUPERBOY!!!!!, he had many stories and a few different series all pre-crisis for him, surely someone around here has to have a few of these comics to recap for the entry?

see for yourself: http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Superboy

hang your head in shame then lift it back up and do something about it.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 05:43:10 PM »

Here's a question I have about "big ticket" entries like Superboy who have lived through many hundreds and hundreds of adventures...is it a better idea to give lots of individual story details and references in these entries or under separate entries in Supermanica that link to Superboy?

For example, I probably have good knowledge of about 10 stories and have made some entries on them...I'm not really sure if they are "big" enough in his total "life" to add them in the Superboy category...

In some ways, is it better to thave more general all-encompassing stuff in the "big" entries?
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 06:41:09 PM »

Quote from: "MatterEaterLad"

In some ways, is it better to thave more general all-encompassing stuff in the "big" entries?

Yes, but we don't even have that now.

Kal's Pal gave a really nice template on what the topics should be, if we only followed that then we would have something special:

Guys, I've written up a possible 'Table of Contents' that could be used (and editied) for Superboy (just to maybe jumpstart interest in contributing to the entry), what do you think?

Overview

Origin

The Secret Identity

The Costume

Smallville

The Super-Powers

The Vulnerabilities

The Boy Himself (as Clark Kent)

The Boy Himself (as Superboy)

Family, Friends and Allies

-Raised By Jonathan and Martha Kent

-The Relationship with Lana Lang

-The Friendship with Pete Ross

-Ally of the Legion of Super-Heroes

-As the Owner of Krypto the Super-Dog

Relationship with the Law-Enforcement Establishment

The Texts

-Locales

-Developments

--Encountering his Future Self (as Superman)

--Encountering Supergirl

--Death of the Kents

--Becoming Superman

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Kal's Pal
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 11:22:54 PM »

Cheers! Wink I never persued going about that, 'cause I got no response when I suggested the template. What does everyone else think? Been away from Supermanica myself...

"Fellow scientists! Krypton is DOOMED!"
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 01:06:45 AM »

I see where you guys are coming from, for me, I feel really underqualified for those categories...for example, I read about 7 stories with young Lana Lang when I was a kid, but for some reason, I don't know if I could summarize her overall relationship with Superboy...

Maybe I'm better at single entries and cleaning up links that need to be done, etc... Cool
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 10:03:18 PM »

I'm on it! However, I'll need to be able to list More Fun Comics as a canonical Superboy source. Any objections?

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 11:37:39 PM »

Quote from: "Gangbuster Thorul"
I'm on it! However, I'll need to be able to list More Fun Comics as a canonical Superboy source. Any objections?

Yes, but ONLY the superboy issues:

MFC  More Fun Comics  [101–107]

I can see no reason not to add it.

as a matter of fact:

http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Canonical_sources

TGSB has hardly any Superboy info other than Legion stuff, so there is quite a void there.

- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 12:12:44 AM »

I'm a little confused about "The College Years" category, even in light of your entry that Clark considers himself Superman early in college...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L