superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:43:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Calling all Superboy Fans!  (Read 27634 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2006, 11:56:41 PM »

Quote from: "Gangbuster Thorul"
Thanks. I have a question: The 1973 origin on this site- the one by Bridwell/Infantino that shows Superboy leaving Smallville and baking a giant cake for the townspeople- where is this story originally from?

I believe this story was originally done for the treasury-sized "World of Superman" comic published by (or for) the folks in Metropolis, IL.  Notice how Ma and Pa Kent's gravestones are in the back yard - that's because the people designing the theme park planned to place the gravestones in the backyard.

More explanation here:

Quote from: "E. Nelson Bridwell"
... In 1973, plans were made for a Superman Park in Metropolis, Illinois.  A book was produced for the park which included a new origin for Superman - the same origin which you have just read.  In this version, two deviations were made from the traditional legend: Superbaby's rocket did not explode after he was taken away from it, since the rocket was to be on display in the park; and the Kents were buried in their own back yard, rather than in a cemetery, as that was where the park planners had the grave situated.

All the stories in "The World of Superman" were presented in a B&W wash.  I think this one was finally colored for publication in "The Great Superman Comic Book Collection" (and/or one of the original "Superman in the 70s/80s" books), which is where I got it from.

Quote from: "Curt Swan"
... the story I'm proudest of is the 1973 version I illustrated of "The Origin of Superman" - showing the last days of Krypton, the baby Kal-El rocketing to earth and being found in a cornfield by Jonathan and Martha Kent, then young Clark discovering his superpowers as a boy and going off to Metropolis to serve the world as Superman.

Carmine Infantino did the layout on that story, planning the way it was to unfold, panel by panel.  It was so good.  We included it in The Amazing World of Superman, one of those special large editions we put out for $2 a shot while Infantino was publisher.  I am very fond of that one.

Its upcoming reprint in the "Superman Returns" comic will be the first time it's been printed in a conventional comic-book.

The fact that the rocket doesn't explode does a great job of merging the traditional comic-book origin with the movie origin, a fortuitous happenstance.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2006, 01:16:18 AM »

Quote from: "Gangbuster Thorul"
Thanks. I have a question: The 1973 origin on this site- the one by Bridwell/Infantino that shows Superboy leaving Smallville and baking a giant cake for the townspeople- where is this story originally from?

The cake first appeared in the 1955 story "Superboy's Last Day in Smallville", and appeared in various flashback stories again and again over the ensuing years...

Re: Supermanica: I'd consider adding stuff, but not sure if I'd be writing in a "correct" writing style or not. I've had lots of experience writing for Wikipedia (including writing some Superman-related articles from scratch or revamping them to include Golden and Silver Age historical info...), but stopped writing for it recently out of growing annoyed with dealing with Wikipedia's hijinks (people with political agendas, having my stuff eliminated wholesale or edited  to death, stupid posters, correcting stuff constantly growing more of a chore than fun, etc.), so not sure if there'd be danger of that happening here....

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2006, 01:49:46 AM »

By all means please add whatever you want, as long as it is Pre-crisis only and as long as it happen in one of the canonical sources.
http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Canonical_sources

Always include sources for everything, kept to the facts rather than personal opinion and you are good to go.

see this for more details:
http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Supermanica:Help

The more pre-crisis fans add to it the better!

So please add away Johnny Nevada Smiley

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2006, 02:07:03 AM »

No doubt, join in...I started a few weeks ago and so far this is a small Wiki site as far as contributors go, edits haven't been drastic at all, some folks have stopped by and added post crisis stuff, but its been taken care of...
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2006, 02:10:58 AM »

*Whew* I've done a lot of typing in the last day, but the Superboy entry is now a lot bigger and more thorough. A couple of things still need attention, though (besides basic editing and proofreading.)

First of all, the introductory-summary section probably needs a lot of work; however, I don't want to touch it, and I don't know who wrote it.

Second, as for Superboy's adventures in the 30th century, I only have one issue of Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes. That probably isn't going to cut it...maybe someone with several more of those issues can help expand that section.

As for now, I'm signing off for day 2...

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2006, 02:32:22 AM »

First of all, the introductory-summary section probably needs a lot of work; however, I don't want to touch it, and I don't know who wrote it.

The reason why it reads so strange is because many different people wrote it, the facts are great but it doesn't work as an intro since it's all over the place,  so we will want to keep the facts and move them to a different section and expand the intro so that it is more cohesive.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2006, 03:28:18 AM »

Yeah, I am tempted to junk or radically rearrange most of that intro and piece together something similar to the first 2-3 paragraphs of the Superman essay, with reference to actual quotes/issues.

The entry is looking up!

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2006, 01:03:21 PM »

Thanks, all...

Few more questions:

-  Is there any distinction made in entries between Golden Age/Earth-2 and Silver Age/Earth-1 versions of characters/events? On Wikipedia, I'd usually make seperate sections for Golden Age, Silver Age, and Modern Age versions of characters and places like Lois Lane or the Daily Planet, with appropriate info under each section (though mostly since there was a lack of pre-Crisis info on said versions of characters/events).

- Am I allowed to upload scanned-in pictures? Have tried to scan in some comic panels and upload them to Wikipedia, only to see some people delete/replace them for petty reasons...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L