superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:54:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SUPERMAN CONFIDENTIAL, on sale soon  (Read 7871 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 11:52:33 PM »

more info and pic posted: http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73448

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 03:41:50 AM »

So Solo is his best work?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 07:31:15 AM »

By its very nature, SOLO was an artist's showcase.  Each issue featured a different artist, with stories submitted by various DC writers.  Consider SOLO as a "portfolio sample" of that person's work.

DTO
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 11:05:29 AM »

I know what SOLO is supposed to be (I'm using an image from a SOLO comic as my avatar).

I've just heard that several SOLO issues are not exactly the best work of the creators (especially ones past their prime).

Regardless, I will give Sale a second chance (meaning more than a dismissive glance several years ago).

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
BMK!
Superman Family

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2006, 05:21:34 PM »

Andy Diggle will be writing the Dark Knight’s first arc with art by Whilce Portacio.

“That story will really touch upon the return of Bruce Wayne,” said DiDio, “from his travels before he first puts on the bat suit and his reclaiming of Waynehood.”

What wasn't mentioned above is that the first Batman Confidential arc will be Batman's first encounter up against LEX LUTHOR!

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72997&highlight=Batman+Confidential

As the series will tell individual arcs, both will see rolling creative teams pass through, with Darwyn Cooke and Tim Sale launching Superman Confidential and Andy Diggle and Whilce Portacio handling the opening arc of Batman Confidential.

We spoke with Diggle about how he landed the gig, and what he’s bringing to the table with his story.

“I think the moment it all started was probably when Jock and I bounded up to Bob Schreck at the bar at the Bristol comic con a couple of years ago and babbled at him about how much we’d love to do a Batman story,” Diggle replied when asked how he landed on the new title’s first arc. “Bob was like, ‘Cool!’ And that was that - until later that year at the San Diego Comic Con where, right out of the blue, Bob offered me Detective Comics. I couldn’t believe it!”

But, given that this isn’t a story about Diggle writing Detective Comics, and given that Diggle had a lot gong on when the offer was made, by the time he got around to making his pitch there’d been an editorial shuffle at DC, Schreck was no longer the Bat-editor, and a new Detective team was already in place.

“But,” Diggle continued, “Dan Didio came over to London later that year, and we chatted about what I had in mind - a Batman versus Lex Luthor story. Well, I say ‘chatted’ - what I actually did was engage in an enthusiastic beer-fueled rant, most of which detailed the choreography of an elaborate action sequence featuring a Mach-3 face-off between the Bat-Plane and a 200-foot tall war robot outside Area 51. As you do.

“I recall Dan’s eyes narrowed and he made this sort of non-committal ‘Hmm,’ and I thought, ‘That’s it, I’ve just blown it. He thinks it stinks!’ Turns out what he was thinking was that my take on Batman didn’t sound like the traditionally low-key Detective style of story, and that it might actually make a great launch arc for Batman Confidential.

“It was my feeling that DC had tried so hard to ground Batman in a gritty urban ‘reality’ in the post-Dark Knight era, maybe they’d lost sight of that fact that at its heart it’s still supposed to be a superhero comic. And I passionately believe that superhero comics should be about speed and energy and movement, thrilling adventures and spectacular action. Not just, y’know, whining and soap. So my story begins as a mystery, develops into a conspiracy, and then explodes into all-out, balls-to-the-wall chunky robot action.”

As mentioned earlier, the idea behind the two new Confidential titles is to illustrate key moments in the character’s lives. As you probably guessed from Diggle’s comments, his story focuses on Batman’s first encounter with Lex Luthor.

“I know Luthor’s traditionally been Superman’s arch-nemesis, but it intrigued me how similar he and Bruce Wayne actually are on the surface,” Diggle explained. “They’re both brilliant, driven, super-rich billionaire industrialists, each seeking to change the world for what they see as the betterment of mankind. So on the surface, there’s not much to differentiate between them, and neither knows about the other’s shadowy double life... yet. But once you scratch away the veneer, you see they have very different ideas as to what constitutes the public good - although both are using extreme, secretive measures to pursue their agendas. I think that leads to some interesting contrasts, interesting dramatic friction.”

Given the storyline, the meeting, and thus the arc take place somewhere during Batman’s second year in business. “He hasn’t yet made peace with his inner demons - there’s still a lot of anger in him, which he channels into violence. He’s not yet the calm forward-planner he will later become. He’s still a little green, still a little rough around the edges, and he doesn’t yet have the huge arsenal of high-tech gadgets. That said, he does pick up a few cool toys during the course of the story - not least the Bat-Plane, which is a prototype VTOL stealth fighter being developed by Wayne Aerospace.

“In short, WayneTech and LexCorp are each competing for a multi-billion dollar government defense contract. Needless to say, Lex Luthor has bigger plans than merely selling weapons. He plans to use them for himself - and in a big way. So when bodies start dropping in Gotham City, Batman takes a personal interest. And then the giant robots turn up...

“Oh, and as for Whilce - what can I say? A picture tells a thousand words, and Whilce’s artwork speaks for itself!”
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L