superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:31:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Jor-El/Al Gore connection  (Read 3244 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: June 04, 2006, 11:24:39 AM »

Famed scribe Elliot S! Maggin has a piece in today's LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-maggin4jun04,0,7737099.story?coll=la-news-comment-opinions

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 02:33:15 PM »

The trailer for Gore's film is chilling and since I write about that kind of stuff all the time, needless to say, it scared the DAXAM out of me.

Gentlemen, Earth is doomed, indeed.
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 02:50:00 PM »

To my undying shame, I am actually guilty of writing some fanfic set in the future, in which Jorelle Kent, one of the world's leading scientists, adresses the UN to tell them earth is doomed because of an ecological disaster. The plot has one major failing: it's set six hundred years from now, as if we had that much time.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 04:31:59 PM »

Maggin can write!

I do like the idea that Maggin makes, that the Science Council had become bureaucratic and entrenched, and instead of people with the mentalities of scientists, there were people with the mentality of lawyers and economists, who viewed Jor-El as both a maverick and a rival. The comparisons, not to individuals, but to institutions in our real world really suggest themselves.

For those of you that collect Maggin quotes, here's one from the article:

Quote from: "Elliot Maggin"
Fiction, when it's any good, is a fantasy that tells the truth.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 03:41:45 PM »

I get as far as Tipper Gore being Lara and my anti-PMRC mind revolts.  Gore lives in a different DC Universe with a lot more monuments, I tellya!   Kristin Gore as Supergirl almost has possibilities, though:

http://www.hillnews.com/photos/091604/Kristen-Gore.jpg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L