superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonSupermanicaHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE AUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:04:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The SUPER-RIVALRY that ROCKED METROPOLIS!"  (Read 13518 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 03:59:31 AM »

It's funny I've never heard of these stories before.  They are quite charming and it's sad that they are later retconned as part of some Iron Age plot.

Some very nice touches, like the Bat-pager.  The big difference is that so little plot is fit into the comic.  Modern comics are only 15-20 pages, but the whole thing would have been resolved in that space back in the 60s.  Reading the stories online, I scroll down, expecting to see another panel, and all I see is the bottom of the panel I'm reading --wasted space, showing some legs or trees!  What's so great about the art of Todd Grummett (besides his nationality) that he can't fit in a few more panels per page?

The real resolution: the Red K induced cranium actually causes Superman to project an illusion of his fondest desire for a brother and the real reason Batman is in town is to track down a plot to infect Metropolis by the Red K Gang who are using a tracker on Lois and Jimmy to get close to Superman --Batman needs to keep her away from Superman so they can't get near him.

Question: Superman's "brother" in the Phantom Zone? Mon-el?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 05:09:06 AM »

Quote from: "Continental Op"
The scene where Clark shows up for work with the hat is fantastic!

Yeah, that was why I had to add the story to the site - just for that one scene.

Quote from: "TELLE"
Question: Superman's "brother" in the Phantom Zone? Mon-el?

Makes sense to me.  They thought they were brothers when they first met, and lived as such for a bit, before Mon got his memory back.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 06:03:14 AM »

Better yet make it so it was Halk Kar, again, this time he thought that Superman of Earth-1 was his brother for sure, but at last, he isn't his real brother either  Tongue

Poor Halk Kar  :?

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Vic George 2K6
Superman's Pal

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 11:40:16 AM »

So how's this going to get finished off without the Dominus-Kismet substory connection? Stay tuned.

VIC GEORGE, Westfield, MA, USA
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 05:09:31 PM »

Hmm... how many "Superman brothers" appeared Pre-Crisis (including "Imaginary Stories")?  I've located:

Halk-Kar (Superman #80) From Thoron

Zal-El (Superman #132)  Imaginary Story younger brother

Knor-El (Superman #200)  Imaginary Story younger brother

Robert "Kent"? (Superboy #18 ) Temporarilly adopted by the Kents

Mon-El (Superboy #89) From Daxam

Jimmy Olsen (Superman’s Pal, Jimmy Olsen #19) Amnesiac delusion

Mickey Moran (Superman #256) Clark Kent's "kid brother for a day"

Cory Renwald (Superman #389) "Foster brother"?

Kor-El (World’s Finest Comics #246-7) Actually a disguised Parasite

And I do recall an Imaginary Story where Bruce Wayne was adopted by the Kents (plus one more where Bruce thought he came from Krypton), and another Imaginary Story where Lex Luthor as adopted.

DTO
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 08:06:57 PM »

Quote from: "Vic George 2K6"
So how's this going to get finished off without the Dominus-Kismet substory connection? Stay tuned.

We've got a few story ideas.  Stay tuned is right!

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L